Incredible Giveaway!!!!!

Sorry to hear of the mishap, Squish. I myself used to pride myself on my impeccable driving safety record until I dumped 48,000 pounds of Miller beer down in Albany, GA because I neglected to do a tug check. Total loss. That was enough beer to keep my hometown drunk for a week straight.

We all make mistakes because we're all human. Now in dispatch I send out two safety messages via qualcomm to my fleet per week. Not sure if they help my drivers, but I send them out anyway.

Justin, that type of truck could be had for mid 30's around here.

What's the exchange rate?

Well, that just sucks Justin. Don't beat yourself up so much about it though. Time to start looking forward to a shiny new truck!

Sorry to hear about your friend. I hope she heals up quickly.

Glad you're ok, Squish. As for the truck... fahgeddaboutit. It's replaceable metal.

:)

Now, for your new nickname...

FLIPPER.

:D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Again thanks everyone for the words of support, it does help and is appreciated.

If anyone knows of a smoking deal on a forestry bucket truck feel free to post it here or pm me or something. I'm not really wanting to go to the States as I have no passport and don't really want to deal with the importing bs but if push comes to shove who knows. If anyone knows of any trucks in Canada that would really be appreciated.

Also if any eastern housers near Colborne Ontario might be willing to check out a truck or two for me it would be greatly appreciated.

What kind of expense/ hassle is involved in importing a truck from the US? Just so we have a ballpark idea on how much to add to the price for comparison.

I'm not certain of what the shipping/delivery charge would be, I'm assuming it'd vary greatly depending on location.

You have to make sure that the vehicle is admissable which shouldn't be a problem with a forestry bucket truck.

You then have to factor in duty which I'm uncertain of

You need to get manufacturers recall letters, sales receipt, title and whatnot

You need to arrange for insurance

You need to complete a vehicle import form

Then at the border you need to produce all of this documentation at which time they will run all the numbers and determine again that the vehicle is legit and admissable to Canada.

$224 Canadian registration fee before crossing into Canada

Ok then you guys's customs requires similar paper work to be submitted 3 days prior to the vehicle crossing the border and then they will do all of their checks before allowing the vehicle to leave the country.

I'm certain it could be greatly simplified with a broker and am guessing in the range of a few grand for them to handle it. Then there's the dollar exchange to be considered as well and the passport.

So I'm not going to be importing unless a vehicle is way below market value, it's just way to involved for me and I plan on having a new truck here and working within two weeks. I've also found in life that if a deal seems to be to good to be true it usually is. I want a mint truck, not one with a questionable or unknown history.

Yes I'm a picky sob:D.

I'll join the choir, sorry to hear about your setback. I know that sick feeling in pit of your gut when you've screwed up. I don't think there's anyone here who's immune to doing stupid things from time to time, I know I am not. As far as newer bucket trucks, for some reason most of them are in the Eastern United States which is a pisser for us folks out West. I hope this all works out for you.

Don't know if you guys do the CDL thing up there but the truck you linked to would be well within that range here, something to keep in mind

Squish, what about inspection and such by the MOT?

Yup, all commercial trucks over 8000kg need an annual safety inspection.

Willie the truck I linked to same as my wrecked one don't require any special license up here.

Thats cool, anything rated over 26k requires it here and that one was 33k. Definatly a sweet set up though

Hi Squish,
Did they total the truck? I don't know how much damage was done to the boom but the truck does not look too bad from the pictures.

I beleive they'll write it off, although I'd love for them to fix it. Upper boom is busted in half and the bucket is ripped off too. The lower boom and house have been tweaked hard and some bolts busted off of the house. I'll be suprised if they fix it. I'm guessing they'll pay me out and auction it as rebuildable.

I do not deal with with bucket trucks much. I am sure there is a point where the value of the boom and bucket outweigh the value of the truck itself.

I would never ever trust one that was damaged like that unless it was replaced with a new unit . In addition with the truck being flipped on its' side ,hard to say what damage could have been done to it as well . Twisted frame,who knows ?

I'm a telling ya despite looking pretty good, there's not a hope in hell they're fixing that truck. There options are fix it or pay me 25g and then sell it as salvage to cut their losses. And I guarantee ya that's what they're gonna do. You can't really tell from the pics but nothings straight on it anymore and the boom is forked.

Justin, I don't know poop about bucket trucks so I can't help you there, aside from saying that is a nice looking truck. My advice is: it's not about finding a good deal, it's about finding what you want.

But I think you knew that already. :)

Best of luck!

Squish, the truck's collision insurance does not usually cover "attached" auxilliary equipment (at least here in NY).

I have to purchase a seperate policy known as inland marine to cover the booms, log loaders, tools and chippers.

I asked my wife about it (she is an insurance broker at one of those joints in the mall), we have a singular system up here in BC run by the province, she says off the top of her head if the vehicle was damaged while driving it should be covered, if it was being used (the boom or crane) for the intended use (booming or craning) and had a failure or mishap, it likely wouldnt be covered. she isnt too familiar with vehicles of that nature tho.

Back