I (Think/Hope) I Developed A New Hitch Design

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I already have videos for/am aware of the Scott's locked. This is not meant to replace more "inherently secure" knots. It's just a fun creation I've made where I don't believe anyone has ever attempted to apply a Yosemite finish to this particular bowline. But yeah, from my understanding, the Scott's Locked is more secure than the Bowline with the Yosemite Finish. And if you look at the knot, it's pretty obvious why. I wouldn't recommend climbing on the knot I just showed until some break testing is done. The Water Bowline is meant for wet ropes and alleviate jamming under such conditions. It's unclear whther or not the Yosemite finish would cause it to jam, but I doubt it.

I just realized that the Yosemite finish is supposed to come out to the left of the standing end. Much safer that way.

I'd just ignore them. Not everything requires a response, and as your channel gets bigger, you're gonna get more asshats. There's better ways of passing time than engaging them. Make some more hitches instead.

Troll patrol on my YouTube channel. Hit 'em where it hurts; use logic.

Attachments

• 2023-03-26 (2).jpg
    2023-03-26 (2).jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 7
Just so everyone knows, I deleted a post because there was personal information in the image that I forgot to crop out. @lxskllr posted after that message and now it's out of order. But thank you for your advice. You're right about not engaging. I don't want to look like an antagonist, egging on bullies. That's not the image I want to portray. I couldn't help myself, though. Some people truly are asshats. Sometimes they are even douche canoes. I'll do my best going forward to avoid feeding the trolls. Pinky swear! =-D

EDIT: I might just delete his message and mine. I want to hopefully monetize at some point and that wouldn't look very good.
EDIT 2: I deleted my message. The troll can marinate in his own self loathing without a response from me. Thanks @lxskllr! You brought me away from the dark side! The force is now strong with me!

Check out the BLIZZARD hitch! Not posted on YouTube yet, just uploaded to it as an "unlisted" video. So you need this link in order to watch the video. It's a fun, quick 2m video! Minimal commitment required! It's basically three wraps with two opposing half hitches after that, with the first's leg going under the second leg. If you would rather I call them marls, we can do that too haha. I brought it down from four wraps to three because it was very grabby.

Attachments

• PXL_20230327_012211275~2.jpg
    PXL_20230327_012211275~2.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20230327_012047546~2.jpg
    PXL_20230327_012047546~2.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I don't really watch many videos, so my opinion isn't worth much, but I think a short discussion on the hitch characteristics would be interesting. Is it grabby? Does tend nice? Does it tend to bind? so on...

That hitch specifically looks interesting. Generally speaking, I like your videos. I say I don't watch much video, but I've been watching most of the ones you post here. You have a pleasant, easy going presentation, and your instructions are clear and concise. You do a good job with these :^)

@lxskllr Wow! Thanks so much for the kind words! I’m glad that my videos appeal to you, which means they will likely appeal to others. I try to avoid creating any distractions or delays in my videos, though, oftentimes I find myself rambling hard. These ramblings are usually highly educational and I think most people enjoy it. I don’t usually ramble in my hitch “how to” videos, but it’s been known to happen.

They are likely the embodiment of what you’re suggesting to me: speak more about the hitch and its attributes like binding potential, ease of tying, required hitch cord lengths, does it tend well, etc. I’m going to make a list of all of the things I can talk about for any given hitch and then fill in whichever attributes I can for all of my new hitches. That way I can have a small discussion either before or after the tying.

Great suggestion! I know a lot of people will also appreciate that. I can also start designating each hitch with a level of tying difficulty between 1-5. Just a thought as to how I can offer more information. But that may be too subjective. I’ll give it some thought.

The BLIZZARD hitch is definitely a winner in my opinion. It actually grabs well on the Yale Bifrost. Especially if I use my Sterling RIT. Nothing wrong with the (EDIT: Bailout), but less contact surface area (between hitch cord and rope) and it’s also brand new (sort of). I have been using it mostly for demonstration purposes. Hitch cords tend to work better when they’re a bit fuzzy.

Anyways, thanks once again for all of the nice compliments. You turned my frown upside down! =-D

Last edited:
IMPORTANT UPDATE: I've decided that I'm going to cease and desist from calling any of my hitches "inventions" and instead refer to them as either "discoveries" and/or "creations." I've been using the words interchangeably, but I'm now offering an important distinction. The main reason why I'm choosing to do this is because I am reserving "invention" for only the hitches that I definitively know I was the first to come up with, or which I can say I was the first with reasonable certainty, because that is the implication that is made by using that word. A "discovery" or "creation," on the other hand, will be used to describe a hitch that I came across on my own definitively for the first time, but makes no claims that it is necessarily the first time it has been done. This encourages other knot "discoverers" and "creators" to let me know if they were, in fact, the first to come across any of my hitches, and affords them an opportunity to provide proof to that point. This means that, by avoiding the use of the word "inventor," I avoid having the burden of proof being placed atop my head for anything I've designed and developed. It's very difficult for any given person to "know" without a doubt that any knot, especially a hitch, has been tied before and whether, if it has been tied before intentionally, that someone else out in the world isn't also claiming to have been the very first person to do so. I hope that makes logical sense. I'm so used to saying "invented" that I might make some slip ups. Please just point them out to me if I do. Let me know what you think about this very philosophical talking point! I think I've made a sound decision.

Last edited:
I'm happy to see that my vocabulary adjustment is well approved and I feel ignorant for having been using the previous installment. Alas! But intelligent for having corrected myself! Huzzah!

I "Invented" is a Mr Murphy term/phrase that falls short on the ears of the more experienced.
Pray tell, I don't wish to speculate, but who is Mr. Murphy? Is that a turn of phrase or is there an actual individual by that name?

In the spirit of spreading the joy of learning not only videos for how to tie my hitches, but that of other talented individuals, I wish to share a tying video for the BROCKY #113.

For anyone following this thread who thought my channel includes the quintessential hitches and only my hitch creations, you would be wrong! I hope to build a library of as many unique hitches as possible. This means that if you contribute even a single hitch of noteworthyness, I will eventually make a video for it with proper name and credit given in any way you choose. If you share multiple hitches, I will eventually make an entire playlist for you and I'm reaching that point with Brocky. I currently have four or five of his hitches on there.

I had to say that in case someone out thought "I have a cool hitch, but nobody would care. What would I even do with this knowledge? " I care and I want to help you share it and allow you to own historical proof of your accomplishment in an educational form.

Anyways, without further ado...
I have added a photo of BROCKY #113 below as well...

If you wish to become a part of my YouTube project, either direct message me or share in this thread. As much as I love myself, I'd love to see other people share on here. But maybe I'm grossly overestimating the interest in this. Can't hurt, right.

Let me know what you think of my tying method, @Brocky !

Attachments

• PXL_20230408_051643998~2.jpg
    PXL_20230408_051643998~2.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I'm happy to see that my vocabulary adjustment is well approved and I feel ignorant for having been using the previous installment. Alas! But intelligent for having corrected myself! Huzzah!

Pray tell, I don't wish to speculate, but who is Mr. Murphy? Is that a turn of phrase or is there an actual individual by that name?

In the spirit of spreading the joy of learning not only videos for how to tie my hitches, but that of other talented individuals, I wish to share a tying video for the BROCKY #113.

For anyone following this thread who thought my channel includes the quintessential hitches and only my hitch creations, you would be wrong! I hope to build a library of as many unique hitches as possible. This means that if you contribute even a single hitch of noteworthyness, I will eventually make a video for it with proper name and credit given in any way you choose. If you share multiple hitches, I will eventually make an entire playlist for you and I'm reaching that point with Brocky. I currently have four or five of his hitches on there.

I had to say that in case someone out thought "I have a cool hitch, but nobody would care. What would I even do with this knowledge? " I care and I want to help you share it and allow you to own historical proof of your accomplishment in an educational form.

Anyways, without further ado...
I have added a photo of BROCKY #113 below as well...

If you wish to become a part of my YouTube project, either direct message me or share in this thread. As much as I love myself, I'd love to see other people share on here. But maybe I'm grossly overestimating the interest in this. Can't hurt, right.

Let me know what you think of my tying method, @Brocky !

Looks good, I also like the brevity of your videos. Concernng the tying, I almost always start at the top and coil down.

Inventing, discovering, Ashley used the term originated, which can be further qualified by stating, original to me.

Introducing the REMEDY hitch!

NOTE: I'm going to stop posting the images of my hitches in landscape. That's how I have to share the images for YouTube thumbnails, but on here it is entirely unhelpful to anyone trying to replicate them without watching the video. But I would encourage everyone to watch the video if you want to learn how to tie any given hitch because I have already done all the work as far as finding an ideal tying method for you!

Anyways, let me know what you think, everyone! =-D

@Brocky Thank you for your insights. It seems like we tie in the completely opposite manner! haha

Attachments

• PXL_20230409_035804363~3.jpg
    PXL_20230409_035804363~3.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I brought this hitch up in the "How's it going today" thread. I already have a long form video for it and it was one of my earlier hitches, but it has never been shown on this thread. Re-introducing the GRAVITY hitch! This is tied using a sewn loop hitch cord and I foresee it becoming a popular option for alpinist and rock climbers. It's a great way to use up extra length in a hitch system. Here's my brand new short form video. As usual, shared on here before publishing to my channel! Photo attached as well! Share your thoughts! There aren't many loop based hitches! Now there's one more! I plan on focusing more on loop hitches in the future!

Attachments

• PXL_20230412_055419773~2.jpg
    PXL_20230412_055419773~2.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 3
The Gravity has already been invented/discovered/ originated, come up with by Sam Cooper, surprisingly it’s called the Cooper.

@Brocky Hey! Thanks for letting me know that this has been done before! This will be the second video in about a week that I'll have to scrap because I've realized it isn't novel at all. Alas! Oh well, when you're a player in the hitch making game, this is par for the course. It's about swallowing your pride and accepting that time and energy were wasted. Oh well, I'm going to change the intro where I say "let's learn how to tie the Gravity hitch" and I'm going to use the proper name. So in this case, the video won't be a total loss! This is exactly why I post my videos on here first before publishing to YouTube! Moments like these actually motivate me to try again harder/more instead of deterring me! This means I have to delete my long form video for this hitch as well and make a new one with the proper name. Cod's ballocks. C'est la vie, I suppose.

Last edited:
"Waste not, want not!"

I wasted no time creating my new version of the GRAVITY hitch! This time I was able to cross reference against a large number of additional, existing loop based hitch designs that have already been originated. I am confident that this design is truly novel. Not only that, but it works and performs phenomenally, even with the 7mm cord that I used which is shown in the picture. I want to buy a length of some 8mm hitch cord for use designing and testing new loop based hitch designs. Does anyone have any good suggestions for a type of hitchcord? My instincts say EpiCord. @Brocky already knows that EpiCord makes me "wet" in my nether regions haha am I allowed to say that? Let me know what you think of the new and improved GRAVITY hitch!

Attachments

• PXL_20230412_183440037~2.jpg
    PXL_20230412_183440037~2.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20230412_183402163.MP~2.jpg
    PXL_20230412_183402163.MP~2.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20230412_183342283~2.jpg
    PXL_20230412_183342283~2.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20230412_183309632~2.jpg
    PXL_20230412_183309632~2.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 3
Introducing the EPIPHANY hitch! I'm pretty sure this one is novel as well. Haven't had a chance to try this one out yet. It grabs nicely and reliably, though! Tends easily with two fingers below the hitch lifting up. It looks pretty damn sweet as well. Inspired by the Cooper hitch, but decidedly different!

Attachments

• PXL_20230412_192325833~2.jpg
    PXL_20230412_192325833~2.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20230412_192247839~2.jpg
    PXL_20230412_192247839~2.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20230412_192338034~2.jpg
    PXL_20230412_192338034~2.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20230412_192306477~2.jpg
    PXL_20230412_192306477~2.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 4
Here's a short form video (aka a "Short") that I've been sitting on that I posted today. I try to make content weeks in advance on my time off so that I can just publish as needed without having to constantly be filming every few days. Anyways, this is a helpful video for anyone new to climbing who doesn't realize that you can create your own hitch cords using either accessory cord or heat resistant hitch cord. The former should only be used if you're just primarily ascending or using it for positioning. The latter should be used if you intend to descend on your hitch, which creates serious amounts of friction. Using accessory cord for descents will result in melting of the cord. Anyways, I know most of you already know that. I'm just trying to share helpful info for the less experienced climber, which is the sole purpose of my channel. Check it out and let me know what you think!

Might be a good idea to make a companion video that goes into more depth on selecting a proper cord. You know someone's gonna try using paracord, or that weird braided hardwarestore rope that's stuffed with fluff.

Back