I (Think/Hope) I Developed A New Hitch Design

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here's my Short (short form) video for the SYNERGY hitch that I just created and developed, which works without a rope wrench. Enjoy!

Some photo art of two SRS systems and an MRS system. We've got the Rope Runner Pro (far left), the Hitch Climber setup (middle) and the Rope Wrench (far right). As you can see, I'm a huge fan of Kevin Bingham's creations, as well as the Treemagineers. These are my FAVORITE systems for climbing, bar none. Let me know what you think!

PXL_20240229_141810072~2.jpg

I could see using that at some point. I keep a couple slings on my saddle, and I have lots of biners, but that would work if my slings were otherwise occupied.

I could see using that at some point. I keep a couple slings on my saddle, and I have lots of biners, but that would work if my slings were otherwise occupied.
I try to reserve my Figure 8 to aid with long descents. I use it in conjunction with Rope Wrench, below the device, attached to my lower D on my saddle. It helps me maintain control and not burn out my hitch cords.

I also like to have it for emergencies, in case my primary device fails. I'd much sooner just use a ring or, better yet, a sling and some hardware. The latter is way easier to equalize and easier to install in general!

You have to be really cautious with a setup like than on smaller diameter stems...an aluminum figure 8 is not all that strong when torqued across its flat side. The limb you show it on is big enough that I would be OK with it like that. Carabiners are even worse, given the gate.

A steel rigging ring would be best.

You have to be really cautious with a setup like than on smaller diameter stems...an aluminum figure 8 is not all that strong when torqued across its flat side. The limb you show it on is big enough that I would be OK with it like that. Carabiners are even worse, given the gate.

A steel rigging ring would be best.
Great pointer, @Burnham. Wish I had thought to mention that in my video. I'll add it in the description for sure. Something like that is very intuitive to me, but probably not to everyone in my audience.

My latest video, which is a collaboration between myself and another climbing YouTuber, where I showcase a knot (that I didn't create) that I am calling the "Wraptor," (play on words; it's got wraps, and sort of looks like a velociraptor), and a new knot (that myself and this other gentleman created together by happenstance) called the "Static Klemheist/Machard" (shown in the thumbnail)! It's a bit long, but it's a fun and interesting watch. These knots are super useful and effective! They are both technically hitches, but obviously not friction hitches!

One thing that might make it better than a clove is fewer tight bends. I'll have to do it myself and examine it, but it looks useful.

One thing that might make it better than a clove is fewer tight bends. I'll have to do it myself and examine it, but it looks useful.
Yes, I believe you might be right. The wraps likely allow for the rope to maintain more of its strength. Plus, a Clove hitch will slip at around 5kN (unless you do a double Clove hitch), whereas the Wraptor allegedly can withstand 8kN before it slips, and I believe that the Static Klemheist/Machard may be even stronger. Also, they are super easy to untie compared to other midline knots and easily midline produce-able.

Knoto and his kinks are so far over my head, I mostly don't bother trying to keep pace.

Blake's Hitch FTW!

I'm a simple wood butcher, I need not pretend to sophistication. The kid and I do enjoy watching him though, if only because he's in Arizona. Not sure how my daughter will feel about his content after he moves. She can be rather fickle about such things...

If you were to start giving a shout out to KV in your videos, you'd have a RABID fan for life. The Monkey Beaver Man himself, @August Hunicke shouted her out in a livestream once and she hasn't missed a second of his content since. Just sayin...

Knoto and his kinks are so far over my head, I mostly don't bother trying to keep pace.

Blake's Hitch FTW!

I'm a simple wood butcher, I need not pretend to sophistication. The kid and I do enjoy watching him though, if only because he's in Arizona. Not sure how my daughter will feel about his content after he moves. She can be rather fickle about such things...

If you were to start giving a shout out to KV in your videos, you'd have a RABID fan for life. The Monkey Beaver Man himself, @August Hunicke shouted her out in a livestream once and she hasn't missed a second of his content since. Just sayin...
All I can say, with absolute certainty, is that once I move to MA, my content is going to improve tenfold because I'll actually have unlimited access so some INCREDIBLE trees, in gorgeous natural settings. Right now I'm limited to the few good trees on my apartment complex's property, so I'm also very limited in what I can do. And now that I have a GoPro and I'm getting back in shape, once I move, the content is going to heat up pretty quickly. I'm stoked.

I can definitely give a shoutout to your daughter sometime! I have no objections to that! I have a few other loyal subscribers that I can give a shout out as well.

Kink does accurately describe my non-sexual knot and hitch cord/rope fetish/obsession. I love the feeling of polyester and aramid fibers between my fingers. Each hitch I create has a unique personality and energy, too, and I try to capture each one's essence with a perfect name. I think that's my strong touch of autism kicking in lmao

Anyways, thank you both for taking the time to watch my videos. =-D

All I can say, with absolute certainty, is that once I move to MA, my content is going to improve tenfold because I'll actually have unlimited access so some INCREDIBLE trees, in gorgeous natural settings. Right now I'm limited to the few good trees on my apartment complex's property, so I'm also very limited in what I can do. And now that I have a GoPro and I'm getting back in shape, once I move, the content is going to heat up pretty quickly. I'm stoked.

I can definitely give a shoutout to your daughter sometime! I have no objections to that! I have a few other loyal subscribers that I can give a shout out as well.

Kink does accurately describe my non-sexual knot and hitch cord/rope fetish/obsession. I love the feeling of polyester and aramid fibers between my fingers. Each hitch I create has a unique personality and energy, too, and I try to capture each one's essence with a perfect name. I think that's my strong touch of autism kicking in lmao

Anyways, thank you both for taking the time to watch my videos. =-D
We love you, you kinky phuk! Lolz.

What's your opinion of Technora? Have you had the opportunity to play with that stuff much?

My main attraction is its fire/heat resistance, for various reasons.

Technora is amazing stuff! Very heat resistant! It has NO melting point, and does not melt. It will only decompose when the ambient temperature reaches 500 °C (932 °F). This is a major characteristic of most aramid fibers. There are also many other aramid fibers used in tech/hitch cord. Here's an ALMOST complete list of aramid fibers, and I'll put an asterisk next to the ones that are used currently in hitch cords...
  • Kevlar® *
  • Nomex® *
  • Technora® *
  • Twaron® *
  • Conex®
  • Arawin®
  • New Star®
  • Kermel®
Nomex can be found in the HTC hitch cord by Teufelberger,

Kevlar is in quite a few different hitch cord covers, but isn't as good as the others in my opinion.

Another aramid fiber that actually isn't in the list is Vectran, which can be found in the Ocean hitch cords by Teufelberger and the Bee-Line hitch cords by Yale Cordage.

Technora is in the cover of many cords, and it's in the cover AND the core of the Samson Bailout/Bailout XL hitch cords (they are 100% Technora!).

Lastly, Twaron can be found in the Sterling RIT/RIT Response hitch cords!

Here's what the Bailout XL looks like (the 100% Technora hitch cord). If you really want to enjoy Technora, this is the hitch cord for you, @Kaveman! It's a 9mm cord.

Don't ask me why I have three of them hehe

PXL_20240307_214738748~2.jpg

Here is my latest video where I discuss my lanyard system and demonstrate basic functionality and how I manage excess slack. Enjoy!

That's basically my setup. I think a more interesting endorsement of a sewn/spliced eye is the ease of slipping through crotches. Knots can get hung up. I use knots cause I like knots. They're cheaper, and I can instantly make any line a lanyard, but I recognize the problem with them. Decreasing break strength is less interesting, cause I'm using knots throughout the system, and I don't see the need to get precious over the lanyard knot. Also, with suitable rope. there's also enough reserve strength to account for knots reducing strength.

That's basically my setup. I think a more interesting endorsement of a sewn/spliced eye is the ease of slipping through crotches. Knots can get hung up. I use knots cause I like knots. They're cheaper, and I can instantly make any line a lanyard, but I recognize the problem with them. Decreasing break strength is less interesting, cause I'm using knots throughout the system, and I don't see the need to get precious over the lanyard knot. Also, with suitable rope. there's also enough reserve strength to account for knots reducing strength.
I know. I wasn't suggesting that knots reduce the strength of ropes dangerously by any means. The only reason I brought it up is because, quite simply, it is factually accurate that sewn eyes and splices preserve close to the full strength of the rope; it was mentioned in order to provide information versus trying to suggest that using knots is in some way undesirable. I should have phrased it differently. You're the second person to comment on that. Oh well. The video came out great. I'm getting so much better at addressing a camera! Wait to you see my 20 minute long RADS masterpiece. Shot with two different cameras. It took 3 hours to export it today and my computer was like a space heater, with the fan whirling and heat pouring out the bottom haha

My delivery is flawless, the entire video is intuitive and well thought out, and the best part is that I basically did zero planning besides organizing the order of each segment in my head! My understanding of climbing systems is so on par that I can now improvise/ad lib entire segments flawlessly. I am 10x better at creating content than I was when I first began, and infinitely more confident. So much so that I'm seriously considering remaking my first 30-40 knot tying videos, which I shot with light from a flashlight, on a table with distracting reflective shellac.

There were a few occasions in my latest video where I had to reshoot the segment 3-4 times (because I'm not some kind of perfect YouTuber by any means), but that's pretty standard for anyone creating content. If I don't like how the discussion was delivered, or I feel like I can add more information/explain something better, I'll reshoot the entire segment. I really, really wish I had a cameraman! People sometimes don't consider or realize how much more challenging it is to film yourself! It's easily twice as difficult as if you had a cameraman. Anyways, I'm rambling completely off topic at this point. Thanks for watching my video! <3

Here are some comments by someone who acts as if they know what they're talking about, but who clearly do not in my comments section for this Shorts video that I made about a redirect using either a carabiner/Revolver Rig and a Pulley for a situation where you do your first redirect and plan on doing two or three more, making them easier to pull out from one's canopy or basal anchor compared to if someone where to use all natural crotches, which would generate way too much friction. Unfortunately, he deleted one of his comments mere minutes after I called his stupid ass out this morning, after he clearly failed to understand what the video was even about, despite explaining it at length last night before I went to bed. I can't stand some people.

The final sentence ended with "called him out."

2024-03-10 (1).png

I have been wondering for a while, how do YOU know what you are preaching?

Are you a professional treeclimber or just a Youtube hero?

Back