Hurricane Katia

Bermy

Acolyte of the short bar
...is churning past a couple hundred miles to our south...
We have been having awesome seas crashing on the south shore since Monday, beaches are closed, salt spray over the entire Island...surge in the bay where I live has been washing in and out since Sunday.

Gusts only to 45 tomorrow, I am VERY happy this storm is staying far enough away!

You all should be influenced on the east coast pretty soon eh? I hope it doesn't drop any more rain on you:(

Fiona, is there good surfing in Bermuda? You never hear about it. You could maybe at least ride the wake of those big passenger liners.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Only a couple of places to properly surf, we have too many fringing reefs that break up the ocean swells, and you would NOT want to face plant on those!
Plenty of body surfing on the beaches though at the right tide and wind...
I think some diehards have gone out to North Rock to surf hurricane ground swells...but that's 9 miles offshore almost out of sight of land, sharkies etc...
I used to surf kayaks in our one tidal rip, ground swell against that was always fun...

What's the tidal difference there, Bermy? Here, between minus low and high there's almost 8 foot difference. 2 times a day. although the difference does depends on the phase were in.

Those northern california tide swings can be dramatic. In Hawaii a major tide change is like 3 ft!

Yup, all is well! Tata Katia!

Tide change is about 3ft Gerry, except spring new moon...or when we get stuck in an eddy from the Gulf Stream, a cold eddy can keep the tides way low and a warm one pushes them up!

Kodiak could do 13 or 14 fairly often. More on rare occasion not to mention tsunamis

I don't exactly know the measurement, but up on Hornby island in BC, there were oysters as far as your eye could see at low tide. Not a clue at high tide.

How thick is an oyster?
About an inch or so, that is not much of a tide difference.;)

You want free oysters, come here.
We've had an invasion of Canadian oysters on the tidal flats in southern Jutland.
Only way to diminish the population is by gathering them , so people are being encouraged to go get them.
They make tours out there where bunches of people show up, bringing their own utensils and Champagne and have a great time.

Imagine combatting an invasive species with oysterknives and Champagne, sometimes I'm proud to be a Dane:D

Absolutely! How many different ways to cook an oyster becomes a prominent theme on Hornby. A bucket full in five minutes.

I'm not up on oyster types. Are those Fanny Bays up there? Pretty large, is my memory of them. I ate zillions but never found a pearl, I believe. One reason I never had my tongue pierced. :D

Jay, Fanny Bay is about 45 minutes north of Nanaimo on vancouver island, apparently known for oysters.

Oysters here are tiny, scallops are bigger and protected and mussels are the shellfish of choice...curried mussel pie, a Bermudian staple!
We'd go out camping on the little boat for the weekend, bring the camp stove, some rice, curry powder, rock pick and a face mask...go get mussels, steam 'em then make up the curry, boil a bit of rice...yum yum.

Typical TH thread segue...:)

TS Maria coming by later this week...cue the Portuguese jokes...

Back