How would you do this?

NorthWoodsDiver

TreeHouser
I have to admit I have done some removals, climbing, and most were definitely not safe. I'm not trained in it and everything was for close friends/family and I took my time chunking things down. No rigging. I've got experience rigging heavy equipment lifts but not dynamic loads and what my friend has asked is way over my head.

I'm not asking for specifics on techniques so that I can do the removal, I'm asking if you'd use a crane, climbing, bucket truck, etc to do this job so when he gets bids from companies he knows what is reasonable.

The house looks terrible outside but is actually pretty cool inside. It needs a lot of work and was a foreclosure or short sale of some type. So demoing the home isn't an option, in case someone was thinking that ;)

So what would you charge and how would you remove the trees overhanging this home in Wakulla county Florida?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420502408.317632.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420502433.293437.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420502454.579182.jpg

I have some more photos if needed

Thank you.

Crane wouldn't have to be big, and would knock that out quickly.

Looks like you might swing to a high rigging point near the roof edge.

Rskybiz is in florida, see if he's near or knows someone reputable. Big state.

Get references, and check them.

Check for insurance and licensing.

A lot of price is in the risk/ having insurance/ distance to travel for equipment, a lot in the dismantle itself, and a lot in the disposal/ cleanup.

....and what my friend has asked is way over my head...

Kudos for not only recognizing that fact, but having the strength to not let your friendship make you try it anyway. There are too many variables to give a price but that is an easy or at least typical removal for any experienced tree company. Bucket or climbing. Unless one is close, I doubt a crane would be as cost affective.

There is no reason a good climber and roper/ ground crew couldn't do that tree, especially with the tree behind it as a secondary rigging point. Easy access for vehicles/ winches to lift and lower/ tension a drift line. Flying over it in a bucket is going to be faster if they can reach it. Looks like ziplining options exist. A GRCS would be really nice to have on that, I'd guess.

Have the bids written in detail, and size up each, taking notes as said to avoid getting companies confused.

I'd make a written list that goes something like this to give to the bidders to try to get apples to apples bids, and the amount of service he wants (homeowner clean-up, onsite/ offsite disposal, impact level), not suggesting he gets every option itemized, pick what suits him:

Remove tree over house.

Cut wood to over roughly x" into firewood XX" lengths or less, leave as is (or move to location x), or offsite disposal by tree service.

Brush disposal off site, or chip mulch into a pile, or chip and dump on the property, or haul brush to location X.

Impact accepted: only protect house/ infrastructure; can thrash all lawn/ landscape, or accept damage to x,y,z,;

repair of damages to lawn/ landscape: done by homeowner, done by tree service

If he's bottom line shopping the price, let people know he really means crush stuff (not the house) and leave. Sucks to do a bid for "well we really like the landscaping, can you protect it all?", and then it gets moon scaped by someone for cheap. I tell people I can do anything they want, they just may not want to pay for everything they Could want. More work is more money.

If he's middle of the road, that's probably what he'll get. Clean and finished mean different things to different people. References. Licensing. Insurance. Buyer beware, and buyer protect yourself.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
We don't have many local tree services, I don't think and several people have cautioned against the small operations in the area so we will have to look to Leon county (tallahassee) or Perry which adds at least 45 minutes of travel to the site.

I worked for a service as ground crew back in Minnesota. We trimmed under power lines. For the power company. I've also dropped hundreds of trees without climbing so I am not a total newb.

Some of those trees are no brainers and don't require rigging, though photos may not show them well. It's the cluster over the house that I don't like the looks of. The space 360 degrees around the home is free/clear less the power service line to the home on the south side.

Thanks for the comments thus far. Anyone care to throw out a rough dollar value?

Have the bids written in detail, and size up each, taking notes as said to avoid getting companies confused.

I'd make a written list that goes something like this to give to the bidders to try to get apples to apples bids, and the amount of service he wants (homeowner clean-up, onsite/ offsite disposal, impact level), not suggesting he gets every option itemized, pick what suits him:

Remove tree over house.

Cut wood to over roughly x" into firewood XX" lengths or less, leave as is (or move to location x), or offsite disposal by tree service.

Brush disposal off site, or chip mulch into a pile, or chip and dump on the property, or haul brush to location X.

Impact accepted: only protect house/ infrastructure; can thrash all lawn/ landscape, or accept damage to x,y,z,;

repair of damages to lawn/ landscape: done by homeowner, done by tree service

If he's bottom line shopping the price, let people know he really means crush stuff (not the house) and leave. Sucks to do a bid for "well we really like the landscaping, can you protect it all?", and then it gets moon scaped by someone for cheap. I tell people I can do anything they want, they just may not want to pay for everything they Could want. More work is more money.

If he's middle of the road, that's probably what he'll get. Clean and finished mean different things to different people. References. Licensing. Insurance. Buyer beware, and buyer protect yourself.

Impacts are fine, no lawn to ruin. No damage control needed besides the home and power line coming in :)

Once trees are on the ground you can drive away. Cutting firewood is no hassle and I don't mind burning the brush if a chipper isn't handy. If a chipper is handy there is no need to haul away the chips, or not far.

There is nothing to ruin really, besides a "home".

Start with figuring out what the height is. There are many ways to estimate with some accuracy. A speed square and a torpedo level help you to get a 45degree angle cheaply and accurately, with the help of another person, you don't need a mirror to watch the bubble while sighting. Then measure to base of tree. A 45' tree is way different than an 80' tree over a house with a bucket truck.

Measure the trunk. Get any other pertinent info (septic, gas, water). Email reputable companies with pics/ measurements and ask if they'll bid for Put On Ground and Walk away or bid to chip onsite. I'll travel a lot farther in a pick-up than towing a chipper/ trailer, or driving my dump truck. I don't need to. A lot of guys have better towing capacity on their pick-ups. Tell them you'll be an easy customer. Sometimes its easier/ safer to chip than leave a bunch of brush in the way, especially if you can drive the chipper to the brush.

Are they alive? What about just keeping them?!

If they did need to come out, I'm sure we'd climb and rope them out, using the upright tree most likely as the main rigging point to get stuff away from the house wherever possible. Maybe a guy on the roof to lower to and have him throw stuff to the ground if that turned out to be easier on some limbs.

They are all alive but I can't speak to how healthy the trees are. The root system is protruding under the foundation of the house and this is a hurricane state where trees uproot all the time. Two things which could cause damage beyond repair to the home. I know, it's in tough shape.

Thanks for the comments thus far. Anyone care to throw out a rough dollar value?

$3000= flights for the family
$400= family pass to Disney land
+ 2 weeks accomadation.
When do I start :D Sorry I'm not much more use than that.
Best inviting 2-3 firms to quote and letting them bid on your recommendations, just as SouthSound said.

Back