Homemade Cobra system?

cory

Tree House enthusiast
Hi All.

I have a custy with a medium size 3 leader sugar maple (60'x20"), each of the 3 main crotches is tight and V-shpaed (...). He wants some work done to it because he hears it creaking in the wind and it is 35' from the house. He suggested removing the leader closest to the house and I said not a good idea because it is 50% of the tree. I suggested cabling and he said that sounds good. The canopy is basically tight and vertical rather than spreading. The spans where the cables would be installed are short, approx 2', so installing typical HS steel cable and lags will be a pita because of excessively short span. So I was thinking of quick and dirty "homemade cobra" with rope because the forces working to split the crotches are minimal given the overall structure of the tree. Yes, I could buy cobra but I've never used it and it seems unnecessary if I could simply use some highly weather/UV resistant rope.

What say thou overall re my idea and what is the most durable rope type for this proposed app?

Also I’ve seen short sections of “cobra” cable on eBay. I could be wrong but I think Maple Leaf Ropes sells it by the foot. Maybe ask if you can buy some from somebody who buys in bulk.

How does Cobra work over a long period of time? Is it expected to have someone back every year or two to move and replace gear?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the feedback

10-12 year max lifespan, IIRC.

All supplemental support systems are limited-lifespan due to deterioration and tree growth.

Regular inspections are sensible, and often neglected, as humans often do. I have overdue for replacement Cobra systems at my house.

Back