HitchHiker: DRT Switch and Basic Use

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I only use a canopy tie for when there is another climber in the tree. I make sure to either preset my retrieval line where I intend to descend or go down the way I came up.

Anyone here try or know of the ring/ring friction saver SRT canopy anchor trick? Works Sooo much better then cinching it up top, and it can be retrieved from the ground.

I occasionally do the RR trick with an oval mallion screw link and a dmm revolver to make it midline attachable. I tie a slip knot to keep the tail up on the FS. That keeps the unbalanced rope weight from pulling slack from my side when I don't want it to. If you're redirecting a lot it's definitely handy.

Now you must explain said trick to me.

I don't know why I was so reluctant to switch to SRT, just dogma methinks. But, forgive me as I have to ask to be splained stuff you Srt old hats know easily...

+1 on the 'splainin' for me too, I'm just a noob all the way around and tryin' to learn as much as I can as fast as I can. :|: Anything that's gonna help get the work done safer and faster is at the top of my "things I definitely want to learn right now" list. :D
By the way, great video Nick. ;) How does that HH loop, tender, spliced cord thingamabob work for ya'? You said it's available at Treestuff? How much? Thanks again for all the help and info you're posting on the HH!

Essentially you set a ring and ring (Rr) friction saver as normal. When you pull up your climbing line, after it has gone through the rings you pull through enough rope untill you have enough left on the ground that will make it the top. Tie an alpine butterfly on the small ring side, clip a biner through it and pull it up untill the know jams in the small ring.

You can then climb on the other end through redirects and whatnot and when you get to the ground you can pull your climbing line out of the friction saver with the loose end and use a quicklink or a knot to retrieve the Rr friction saver.

Nick's got it. Here's a pic for the visual

FS-Alpine.jpg

The rigging plate isn't necessary.

Yep, the rigging plate is no longer necessary. I have a custom fs I made out of the new 10mm beeline that I use, sort of midline attachable, and doubles as a monkeys tail. I like your idea of a quick link for the small ring side though Adam, might have to give it a go.

Nick, I'm only guessing that maybe that TIP was higher than that hank of rope could double to so that's probably a retrieval line?

Adrian, you'll like it. Oval link and 1 biner. It takes up no room on your saddle.

I have a teufelberger multisling that I use for everything.. I use it as a split tail when I'm double crotching, redirects, FS when used with a revolver, etc. It's pretty useful. The big oval link from treestuff captures a buckingham size ball perfectly.

Sorry for the derail, Nick!

I'm either really thick or it seems that there is no difference to this from an RB that has a tail which extends to the ground, other than ease of setting the line from the ground (which is a big deal). The same amount of rope is utilised, no? Or are you clipping the smaller cordage to the butterfly or end of the spiked line?

My problem is conceiving of a way in which to work a tall tree SRT and also to retrieve the line once finished. I suppose one would likely always need to use a secondary line in order to retrieve an Srt system on a tall azzed tree.

I'm either really thick or it seems that there is no difference to this from an RB that has a tail which extends to the ground, other than ease of setting the line from the ground (which is a big deal). The same amount of rope is utilised, no? Or are you clipping the smaller cordage to the butterfly or end of the spiked line?

My problem is conceiving of a way in which to work a tall tree SRT and also to retrieve the line once finished. I suppose one would likely always need to use a secondary line in order to retrieve an Srt system on a tall azzed tree.

The setup you are describing is the same as the Rr trick IF there are no redirects. With even one redirect you will have a near impossible time retrieving with a RB, while with a Rr Trick it is akin to pulling out a base tie. I use a base tie unless I am doing a removal or have someone else in the tree with me.

Nick, when you base tie how do you advance your TIP/PSP? Do you yard all the rope up through a higher crotch?

My 7mm retrieval line works great, with no redirects, which if you plan ahead isnt usually a problem. Generally on really tall trees, especially where you life, they are conifers so you can make sure your retrieval line and climb line follow the same path.

Nick, when you base tie how do you advance your TIP/PSP? Do you yard all the rope up through a higher crotch?

I advance the sharp end/tail through a crotch, tie a slip knot above my HH (so it doesnt just sit there and run) and then yank it through with the tail trying not to hit myself in the face. I havent gotten into retrievable hardware based redirects yet.

It is usually no problemo to yard the tail up and over a limb to gain more height, but it certainly seems like there could be a trick to it....so is there? Other than being smarter, of course, cuz that ship sailed long, long ago.

:|: Oh boy, I need to read the last several posts at least 2 or 3 times, I'm getting most of it( I think ). :|:
The way you all are talking I'm sure all this 'splainin' will help me..... :?
Maybe I'm just tired, up at 4am 7 days a week is kinda wearing me out.....;)

Back