Hexa

What is your chain of choice, and what do you do to file/ grind chains for your work tasks?

I'm pretty much in the world of round- filed/ ground chisel chain, mostly skip/ full skip.
.050/ 3/8".

I've run a bit of .063/ 0.404 on Long bars.

Random factoid: Hey did you guys know that .50 gauge is pretty much the only thing west coasters use and .58 is very big in the East. I use .50 ftr!

Nah, a lot of us use .063 actually. A little bit better oil lubrication on long bars. I use both actually depending on the saw. Very little .058.

I know .63 is out there. I guess I meant the regional differences in .5x preferences. The knowledgable folks at Madsen's edified me.

What I use, and used in the past... .063 on the MS088, both the 42" and the 60" bars. All others, from 064, 066, 460, 044, 361, 260, even the MS200 and 200T....running .050.

Last edited:
050 is the standard here, and is all I use. I'm trying to keep everything either ⅜" or ⅜"lp to simplify supplies. I've been mostly successful aside from the stuff the 026 came with. I switched it to ⅜", but lp would have been better.

I'll be interested in hearing what you think of it.

I think I will combine it with my ported 60cc shootout. I have some round filed, and some square play chain to compare to. Going to @huskihl ‘s GTG soon, maybe take it up there to play with too. I bet they won’t let me carry that on the plane…

Last edited:
I stole the KISS for newbies idea from Stihl for round chain too. Took a 1/4” file for .404 chain and ground one side flat to run on the bottom of the valley of the cutter. I sent 3 to new filers to try but haven’t heard much back. Never tested it much myself.

Back