Hexa

Eric H-L

Treehouser
I just stumbled on this video. Anyone hear anything about it? Tim Ard had a video where he says it won’t be available in the US until 2022.

Interesting. I wonder if it dulls easier like square ground?

I agree with setting the chain brake to get better stability to file a tooth

I've seen the video, but haven't heard much "official" news on it. Looks pretty cool. Not sure if it would be a good fit for me. I was starting to regret my stockpile of semichisel chain, then got right back into cutting trash again.

I've seen the video, but haven't heard much "official" news on it. Looks pretty cool. Not sure if it would be a good fit for me. I was starting to regret my stockpile of semichisel chain, then got right back into cutting trash again.

@cory has a really good keep-it-sharp stumping and dirty wood technique that is a total derail.

I bet it dulls somewhat easily.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
There is a German Instagram site that is looking for people to test the product. The sizes are all described in metric. D61E3D7F-D08F-4760-89BA-8AF88A82CECA.png

if they make this chain in 3/8 picco I will try it, sounds like a good idea to me, maybe a good middle ground between round file and square?

Euro - Canadian exchange rate (+ 13% tax) would be over $15/file.
No way, Jose.
$15 buys a lot of root beer and bbq chips.

I've tried it this summer.
Was given a chain and file by my dealer to try out.
Didn't like it.
With the file doing several angles at once, I couldn't get a feeling for how to file it, neither could the rest of the crew.

We ran it for a day, logging Beech, verdict was: 10% slower than regular chain, filed by someone who knows how.

I think that was the problem.
We are all pro fallers and can by Thor file a chain right.
This system is designed as a help for those who can't.

Would probably work fine for someone like Daniel Murphy, might stop his saws from chattering all over.

I took some pictures and was going to post about it, but the pics turned out really bad, so I never did.
Sorry.

Last edited:
For me, it seems unlikely Stihl would invest so much time and money to something that didn’t work, they’ve surely done many, many, hundreds of hours of testing and research before tooling up for machining this stuff in commercial quantities.

I’ll give it a good go when it arrives, no doubt about that.

For me, it seems unlikely Stihl would invest so much time and money to something that didn’t work, they’ve surely done many, many, hundreds of hours of testing and research before tooling up for machining this stuff in commercial quantities.

I’ll give it a good go when it arrives, no doubt about that.

Mick, I didn't say it doesn't work, I said that I and my guys are not the people it works for.

I even gave an example of such a person.

For a person that knows how to get a chain better/sharper than it is out of the box/grinded and keep it sharp there is not much gain in testing a bunch of stuff other than learning and calming cureosity nerve.
Testing is fun and educating. I find it amusing.
I tried Hexagon files some years ago and it was not something for me either. I Don't like the one angle beek in top plate that you get from this and Atop filing as example.
As you file it as you do with round file you angles don't meet in corner and if you try to get them there I think you miss or get a odd topp plate filing.

Mick, I didn't say it doesn't work, I said that I and my guys are not the people it works for.

I even gave an example of such a person.

And I thank you for your review, maybe It’ll work for me and others, I’ll find out when I get a chance to get some.

Back