Harness bloodstopper pouch

The direct pressure thing sure seemed to work well for that Sabres goalie. Clint Malarchuck I think. That was SPOOKY. You’re probably better off not looking it up.

Saw another hockey player get nicked in the carotid a few years ago too, might’ve been Sabres again. Direct pressure to the wound until he got some professional help.

They were both ok, but yikes anyways.

Took a CPR class a few months ago with my daughter’s GS troop. Planning on taking a stop-the-bleed course soon. These are the tourniquets I bought. Some have a plastic/polymer windlass. I prefer aluminum as I’ve heard/read of the plastic ones snapping.

Recon Medical Tourniquet (TAN) GEN 3b - Mil-Spec Kevlar Metal Windlass Aluminum First Aid Tactical Swat Medic Pre-Hospital Life Saving Hemorrhage Control Registration Card 2 Pack

my favorite grizzly tourniquet account. Occured outside of Albany somewhere , before I was working first aid but was already doing Treework ... Guy was working alone , somehow got pinned under a large tree. Amputated his own leg with his chainsaw to get out. Fashioned a Tourniquet with his shirt , crawled back to his bulldozer ... used a wrench to tighten it while he drove out to help. Not sure if he drove himself to the ER as this was way before smartphones everywhere. He survived the bad day and channel 10 news broadcast his story

Stop the Bleed kit in truck. Saddle has had a small pouch with blood stopper (styptic) bandage. Just picked up the coyote pouch by Tiger. Each item held inside by stretch cord so if you open it in a panic it all doesn’t fall out.
Before getting a CAT tourniquet we used a double-ring strap, pre-set in doubled loop. The intention was to be able to one-handed slide up an arm or leg and cinch down. They are inexpensive and good for 3,000 lb of force, so they can get tight enough to close off the artery.
A9623181-FB52-49F2-ABF8-139C76268292.jpeg

I think I'd use the purpose built chemicals. Dunno about charcoal. Shouldn't be harmful unless you pulled it out of some old fire pit, but I think I'd file it away in the back of mind for use in the backcountry if/when you don't have purpose built chemicals with you. Not really worth saving money I don't think. Anything in the tens of dollars/euros range is an acceptable expense for something you'll hopefully never need. If you DO often need clotting powders, perhaps an occupation change is the way to go :^P

Celox is a biological product, maybe not to much of a stranger for our cells. Charcoal is just carbon. Even if we use it as a primary component of almost all our molecules, as is alone it's a mineral and completly useless for our life. The cells don't have the means to deal with that and can't dismantle it. I guess that would complicate the cleaning of the wound.

I've read on several websites that the impregnated gauze is better than just dumping the powder into a wound. Hope I never have to find out...

The bitter truth is that, if one sustains a serious saw cut aloft, it's going to be bad. Help isn't just a hop away, and the climber has to both try to control the bleed AND get down out of the tree.

Last edited:
Back