Friction Saver / False Crotch?

lxskllr

Treehouser
Do you all use these much, and if so, do you set them remotely much? Is it as much a PITA as it looks? I think I have some use for one in a choker configuration, but it would have to be set remotely which adds more hassle to the scenario. Worth fooling with, or think of something else?

I still use mine to set up as a canopy anchor for srt, you set it as normal, then do an alpine butterfly with a crab backup to jam in it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cool, thanks guys. I'll order a couple small rings, and put one together. I already have the large rings. When I ordered, that was all that was in stock. and it was sufficient for my purposes at that time.

My goal is to have a "limb" where there is none, or none I trust to support me anyway. I want to use a limb to hold the vertical position, but have the stem take the bulk of the weight.

I'm curious too! :^D

I'm pretty sure I can do it with multiple bag throws, but I confuse myself when I try to really nail down the process. I need to get out and play with it, testing out ideas while doing it.

Any opinions on how to set it up? Got most of my rings today, and 20' of Ocean cord, which I'll use for my first saver. Maybe just a plain saver to start, and an adjustable later with perhaps different rope. How about length? Is 36" a reasonable all round choice?

What diameter oceans? For climbing I think adjustable is the way to go. Can be made by just knoting. You could make a "BUCKSQUEEZE" with virtually no knots

I got 10mm. I have a BuckSqueeze type thing made with Hawkeye, but it's more for using as a lanyard. It's pretty long.

How did it go? I got inspired by you and made myself an adjustable! Will try it on a recreational removal Saturday.

It went well. Nothing fancy, but it'll work...

20210529_133653.jpg

I also need to finish/refine my "bucksqueeze", but I have to examine all my rope, and figure out which will get the knife.

On a somewhat related note, does anyone run an extra prussic with a carabiner on their lanyard, to choke up against the trunk? I guess they are required overseas, but I'm wondering if it might be nice for smaller stuff rather than doing a 540 wrap which you can't advance easily. This could be undone almost instantly to go back to normal climbing and then locking your work position when needed. Climb to your spot, clip the other side of the lanyard, and then just slide it to the trunk. I'm not talking about climbing bigger stuff, that's not the problem, I'm just thinking for skinnier stuff that doesn't have the friction so you are less stable. I guess the petzl microflip thing uses it. Thoughts? I'm starting climbing again so now is a good time to tweak a few things and a better way of work positioning on small stuff would be nice. The x wrap and the 540 both work well but are kinda awkward, I'm just wondering if anyone's tried this or similar.

Screenshot_20210609-224346_Samsung Internet.jpg

Back