Free $200 from the Apple Store?

NickfromWI

King of Splices
So I had a bit of a disaster today. Had a little hiccup with my precious iphone and called tech support. The dude helping me seemed to know what he was doing. But in one fell swoop he made me lose like 2,000-3,000 photos. Most weren't a big deal, but some were- like the pics from Costa Rica that were geotagged so my brother and I could keep track of all the places we had went. Gone. There were some very important bits of info in there.

So once I realized what happened, I called back Apple to see what could be done. And in the same breath the guy informed me that the photos are gone for good, the mistake should have never happened and was indeed Apple's fault, and that they wanted me to select something $200 in value from the Apple store as apology.

Clever move. I was about to go ape-shit on that guy. He took all the wind out of my sails.

So now I got $200 to spend. Who wants to help me spend it! Anything from this website.

My top choices so far are a thermostat that hooks up to my phone to I can control the temperature when I'm not home. Imagine being away on vacation, coming home and cranking the heat up a few hours before you get there so you walk into a toasty house! http://store.apple.com/us/product/HA895LL/A/nest-learning-thermostat-2nd-generation?fnode=39

The other thing I'm considering is lightbulbs that hook up to my phone so I can control them from my phone. http://store.apple.com/us/product/HA779VC/A/philips-hue-connected-bulb-starter-pack?fnode=39 I could set the porch light to automatically come on as soon as it gets dark, or even turn off the living room light without getting out of bed!

Totally bummed about my pictures. Scouring for other retrieval options. Just gonna have to move on soon, though.

love
nick

Do you already have an ipad? $200 would take a nice bite out of a mini.

I think the thermostat is cool but it's one of those things that you may use just a few times and then forget about it.

For the lights I'd pick up a leviton programmable wall switch. I have one for my front light and one for the light over the kitchen sink. I think they're just under $40 on amazon. I only adjust the front porch switch during daylight savings.

The headphones could be sweet too.

Can you use it for the app store? I think over a couple years a $200 credit would be nice to chip away at. There's some good apps that are kind of expensive like Dirr's guide and the Audubon tree and bird apps that you could buy on their dime.

I would skip the mini and get a 64g iPad 3, if you don't already have one. I got mine from the refurbished side earlier this month for $580ish. You can back your pictures up to the iPad as well using the CCK (Camera Connection Kit). Or use that money to pay for a couple-few years of iCloud backup to prevent the problem from reoccurring.

Between your iPhone and the iPad, you can actually produce basic videos to promote your business as well. Then use the iPad to show your customers what you're capable of/examples of your jobs that pertain to them. This is something I plan on pursing.

Also, this post was made from the iPad :). You can pretty well touch type on it when it's in landscape mode.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Already have the 64gb iPad 3. Use it daily. Over 50% of my treehouse posts are from my iPad.

The mini? No me gusta!

love
nick

Back