Foot locking

maggies dad

TreeHouser
Iam wanting to try footlocking and was wondering how long of a prussic to use. Is it just preference? Or is there a super secret mathmatical equation that gives you the optimal number of inches that it should be? Iam 5'10 but its all torso thanks to my Mom's family. From the waist down I look like a Smurf:lol: Anyway thanks for the help, Hope yall have a great day.

After your Klemheist is tied, probably a 38" length will work. That measurement is from the base of the Klemheist.

Longer than you can reach overhead, but not by a huge amount. If you end up hanging on it, you can always grab a lock and move up to reach it, but you don't want a lot of slack getting in your way when you're climbing. I'm a couple of inches shorter than you, mine was about 50 inches.

Edit: I see Dave posted while I was typing...my 50 inch measurement includes the loop for the friction klemheist hitch, so we are not too far apart with our numbers. Configuration of your harness can make a difference, of course.

I would learn the technique 1st. Then if it is something you really want in your tool box, have Nick splice you up a nice length for a klemheist.

I still have the one he made me 6 yrs ago.

Lol on the body type. we must have common ancestors. I am 5'10" and if I had the legs to match my torso, I would be at least 6'2"

Nope...I had a custom spliced one from Sherrill a few years ago, but lost it somehow...before and after that I just tied up a long loop of whatever 9mm prusik cordage I had on hand that met the 5400 lb. standard when doubled.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cool, I have some cordage that Ill give it a try with. I think even if Iam not any good at it, it will be a good work out without having to go to the gym:lol:. If I get it down pretty good Ill try and find a smurf costume and get a pick of me climbing and post it as my Avatar:O

As long as it doesnt make them any bigger,;) mine are already starting to pass the buckel a bit.

Good rule of thumb is from your chin to your toes. (58" on me so that might come out a tad long)

See, I knew there was a super secret formula! Thanks!

Back