Firewood

lxskllr

Treehouser
It's missing a dimension. Volume can't be computed til it's paid for and stacked. If you bought a "face cord" sight unseen, you have no idea what's gonna show up. Like I said earlier, cookies nailed to a sheet of plywood is as legitimate a measure of a face cord as anything.

Burnham

Woods walker
If you ask the length, all you know is what the seller tells you is the length. And at any length, or mix thereof, the seller is telling the truth...it's a face cord. But the buyer has no idea what the real volume is. It's an inherently ambiguous unit of measure.

With a cord, the volume is 128 cubic feet. Full stop.

Nutball

TreeHouser
Some people stop by, give you $80 cash, and load up however much they want in their 6ft bed that already has a toolbox or cooler and stuff sitting in there, and say nothing about length or volume, and don't come back for the rest of the "rick" you set out for them.

Cobleskill

Treehouser
So how do you get that 128 c.f. stack. Cut exactly 16 inches or 2 feet so it comes out even? I think the 16 to18 inch length is an enforced standard here if someone wants to complain. I know a guy who had a bunch of rookie cutters. Some cut about 14 inches, some close to 20,

I never bought any or sold much firewood. Too much work for the money unless it is a pretty mechanized system. I have burned a hell of a pile of it though.

Marc-Antoine

TreeHouser
Actual length(s), % of void, wood's density and composition, humidity... All that influences deeply what is really sold and all that is either unknow or hard to figure out at best when one want to buy some.
Trust ? Yea, sure...

It isn't much more easier for the seller if he wants to set an actual fair deal.
We just don't know exactly (by far) how much energy is packed in there, because it's what maters at the end.