F550's Central Hydraulic System Ideas

lumberjack

Young man on the go
I'm thinking about putting a hydraulic system on my F550, mainly for the dump trailer and the future dump bed. It looks like I'll have 12gpm and 3500psi to play with. My question is what else would be nifty to run? I thought about a winch, and an outrigger to lift the trailer to make dollying down easier with a full trailer. I also thought about a remote controlled shear for cutting limbs to length from the Gehl for loading (thought about that before, but probably not all that practical).

FWIW the truck is a 2006 F550 with 84"CA 11' cab to end of frame. I'll likely put a 11' flatbed dump on it, so a boom isn't very doable. Right now I'm thinking 4 circuits (dump bed, dump trailer, and 2 extra).

Man I f you could build something like this but bigger that might be neat?
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nL7fYr0JqyY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I have seen emat the scrap yard and they just go up and down over and over again. They use them to cut metal and cable and just stick a piece in push, it dices it into little pieces.

Would it be practical to cut larger pieces of live wood this way, 12" or so? I have no idea... It seems like it would have to be big.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I thought about a log splitter but I have no need for one and only getting 12 gpm from a 6 liter diesel isn't very efficient. Same thing with a splitter.

No need for a plow or spreader either:lol:.

It will be lovely to be able to dump much faster. On this last dirt job I spent around an hour watching the bed go up and down!

How about a system with rams and such that uprights the truck after you roll it?

:D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Haha!

I actually did consider levellers for dumping off camber, but that doesn't seem terribly useful.

Back