Gravely Pro Chip 495. Feeder wheels stopped working. Hydraulic fluid almost empty.

MrTunaCat

Treehouser
Just bought an old gravely pro 495 Perkins diesel. I’ve only used it for about a week. Honestly don’t know much about chippers. Supposedly the tree company I bought it from had their mechanic look over it. Kinda dumb of myself should have looked over it more.

Today the hydraulic feeder wheel stopped. Checked the hydraulic tank and it was practically empty. Threw in 5gal hydraulic fluid but the feeder wheel won’t move. Do I have to purge the line of air? How would I go about doing that? Hopefully the feeder are still okay. Any advice appreciated!

Usually they'll bleed themselves. Are you sure nothing is jamming the wheel?

Did 5 gallons fill the tank?

If it did and there wasn't something that made me suspect a particular area of the machine, I'd crack the line to the valve (carefully, hydro oil under pressure can inject through your skin, a nasty injury) and see if fluid was coming out. If it was, I'd move to the motor, if not I'd move to the pump and repeat.

If you have fluid under pressure to the motor, something is wrong with the motor, most likely. If you have no flow under pressure coming from the pump, and the suction line has oil, something is likely wrong with the pump.

nice that it was just a belt
blew a hydro line on my bandit a few weeks ago when I hit the crush cylinder while feeding brush, main pressure line to the reversing valve popped a hole in the side and shot 2500+PSI hydraulic fluid into my face and every bit of 40-50ft across the yard, it sucks
I like the belt drive idea, maybe a designed weak spot to break before over pressuring a hose or motor, or shearing off the key on the drive motor?

Back