Extreme Loggers

I watched it. About what I expected. Amateur hour. Pretty rough way to earn a living. At least they were wearing chaps. They seem to be pretty clueless about felling technique. Seemed pretty inefficient at best, even with the high grading they were doing. The mules seemed awful rough on the residual stand.

Nice use of safety glasses.

Not too bad overall; lord knows we've had our days that turned to shit.

No, I don't get it either.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Shoot, I've done the same (w/o horses!) thing loading small log trucks like they were using. It's definitely a skill!

4 mules, 4 guys +or-, 1 beat truck to get $950 of timber out in 2 days. Working for peanuts. They got some nice prices at the mill as well. That could have been a lot less.

I especially liked when he cut his hinge off and plonked the red oak in the ash. And then they cut the ash to solve their dilemna.

Yea, I was suprised at what they made. Lordy.

I liked the gal at the mill, she was kickass!

I liked how he pointed out that the first tree went right where it was supposed to... just after we see it go 90 degrees from the notch.

Come to think of it Mike, we do work with a jackass once in awhile. ;)

I liked how he pointed out that the first tree went right where it was supposed to... just after we see it go 90 degrees from the notch.

Come to think of it Mike, we do work with a jackass once in awhile. ;)

But we don't let him cut anything down.:D

Christ no. He can't make a notch to save his ass. Can't rig, neither.

Did they ever say why they use mules?? That log truck looked like a total joke, seems they could've upped production with a decent loader.

The tree that went 90* from the notch was something, but it was also the only notch they used, every other tree was felled without one:O

There's nothing wrong with that truck, besides being well used. Old trucks like that are the backbone of many a logging company.

Yea, I noticed the flush cut stumps. That doesn't mean they didn't use a small underbed, though. I mean, I sure hope they did... they gotta, right? :what:

I just caught the very end of the show when they were loading the logs and went to the mill. You sound like you know something of this type of logging MB. Do they do this in your area?

Mule Logging? Not that I'm aware of, but we do have a lotta trucks that look just like that one. I worked a couple years with a treeguy with a log truck. It was a real skill getting a big log loaded using just the boom winch. You could get messed up real quick, I hope I never have to load load/onload a truck like that ever again.

I didn't see the show but $950 for two days with animals trucks and I'm assuming atleast two guys doesn't equal a living imo even without payments.

Well they don't have any equipment payments. I guess its a living.

Mules gotta eat, vet bills, shoes, harnesses, yada,yada,yada......

I will say with the combined brain power that seemed to be at work, they are exceeding whatever other living would be available to them.

I will say with the combined brain power that seemed to be at work, they are exceeding whatever other living would be available to them.

I agree. In tenn mountains that might not be a bad living. They did carry 3 loads out.

Back