Echo rear-handle electric, charger, 5AH battery, plus free extra 2.5 AH battery, $300

Here's a direct link to the product...

You have to click on the 'Free gift with purchase' button(?) to see the free battery.

That does look like a pretty good deal. I'm almost tempted to buy one as a truck saw, but it would have to go in the cab.

@lxskllr John, have you considered getting one or more locking bed or siderail mount equipment boxes for your truck? I wouldn't have been able to do my work without such on my USFS rigs. Leaves the bed open for normal uses.

I used a pair like these. I moved them from one truck to the next, and they lasted for over 15 years until I retired without leakage or any other issues. Hard duty...loaded heavy and run on plenty of rough roads.

Pics here...

Spendy. I wouldn't put that kind of money into the current truck, but maybe the next one. I'll have to see what I end up with. I don't really like crew cab trucks, but there's a lot of them out there. I've been thinking I might be able to live with one if I removed the rear seats and put in storage boxes. That would take care of a lot of my dry/secure storage needs.

They are pretty pricy. But as I did, you can move them from truck to truck as you get a new one...they are only specific as to length, really...long bed model won't be right for short bed, though short bed fits fine on a long bed truck.

I have both the 2500t and the DCS5000. The rear handle battery saw is not something I would buy again. Save your money for a better saw. It's very much a homeowner saw.

The 2500t is great and is a professional saw. It's my main climbing saw since most of my work is pruning. The 2.5 ah battery fits in the 2500t. The 5 ah battery does not.

I also have the Echo DPAS2600 and the 5 ah battery fits in it. I use the hedge trimmer, pole chainsaw, and the string trimmer but only at my house. It is very powerful and I am quite happy with it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've been content with $300 for the package.

As said, homeowner- quality. Not meant for the rough treatment sometimes found with employees.

Is there any consensus on who makes good battery saws, or does it vary per model and company? I have a good grasp of what a good gas saw is, but opinions seem all over the place for electric. Is Milwaukee as good as Stihl? Dewalt better than echo? What about greenworks? Seems like all have problems, or they don't. You pay your money and hope for the best. I'd probably get echo cause I like my echo tools, but I have no idea if that's the best, or even a reasonable choice. It's just buying based on name.

Is there any consensus on who makes good battery saws, or does it vary per model and company? I have a good grasp of what a good gas saw is, but opinions seem all over the place for electric. Is Milwaukee as good as Stihl? Dewalt better than echo? What about greenworks? Seems like all have problems, or they don't. You pay your money and hope for the best. I'd probably get echo cause I like my echo tools, but I have no idea if that's the best, or even a reasonable choice. It's just buying based on name.
As a qualifier I will state I have never owned a battery saw and have no intentions of ever buying one. However I read the chatter on the tree groups and 6-12 months ago the Husqvarna battery climbing saw was the best one (best power, longest lasting charge, durable). Lately there is a lot of talk about the Milwaukee top handle. It is the latest 'best value' battery saw.
However, if you already have a large collection of battery tools of the same brand, staying with the same brand to share batteries is a huge consideration.

I'm not super excited about electric, but I've been considering a top handle as a chipper saw to quickly limb stuff so it fits better. Mike has a little Makita that works really well as a quick trim saw. Something like that might also make a good truck saw. The Milwaukee top handle caught my eye. My only other battery tool is a Dewalt impact driver I found in the road. I guess that's something, but I'm not invested in it. I don't know I'd even get one. I like gas saws for real work, but electric is interesting when you want to make a quick cut, and don't have to carry it climbing.

Back