Directional control of limbs while aloft

I have a bunch of big limbs hard out over a road to drop this weekend. Salt cedar, wood like cottonwood, doesn't hinge, and I will be in a hurry to beat the heat and dodge traffic - but I'll try to get some vid or at least pics of trying to redirect 'em.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So today I was playing around with some different cuts. It was a silver maple, the canopy had a heavy lean but with no targets of any kind if I took each lead at about 25' leaving 30-50' of lead to flop and cuts made in 8-20" wood. The 8"er I just used a normal humbolt and back cut, got'er cut up and fell true to gun. The next cut was somewhere around 12" wood heavy lean about 35' long and I made the same cut but ended up splitting some of the "log" like a barber chair but not, I could stay ahead of the split. Saw was cutting like a laser. The cut after that was in 20" wood and about 30'ish but real heavy and solid lean. I kinda did a CoosBay with a real shallow and narrow face cut, so a face cut with a coos bay cut in after. For as heavy as the limb was it popped off clean and landed nice and flat. So anyway this is intended for entertainment purposes only and not an example of out of the box thinking. Thank you and God bless.

i have very well taken "Dr." Dent's drawings and turned them sideways to tree use relying on Tapered Hinge mostly, fat end upper to show that down is a sidelean to a horizontal path targeted.
>>but very species dependent at this angle; as mentioned.
Sometimes some Dutch, pushing up.
Motion across taking some of the motion down strain out, buffering it down a bit.
Might take a high left CoG and let it ride down to low right etc., but always watching the CoG to hinge pivot angle and reach.
In rigging that math really works out too on rigging to side.
Usually when rig to straight to side, as branch moves sideways, rope support slackens, hitchpoint on load gets closer to rig point on support.
Load on hinge pulls less across so eventually folds later/thinner/weaker than if still had same side tension .
At 45degrees the amount moves over 1", also moves down 1" cos=sine=.707 is the clue.
>>and does so as measured from the support point as pivot
Usually in fact try to get it so tight, can't go down like it would like, then purposefully load down hard on rope increasing sidepull
>>then serve over into that sidepull now slanting backcut to allow it to; make it take the limb from you
>>dare it to go down further but can't, so turns if face correct and backcut now allows.
>>kind of a bargaining, it wants go down and convert that to sideways some in trade
>>some relief downward is needed tho.
slanted-rope-rig-cutting-horizontal-limb.png

Pull lines can help, further out on target, but still at rigid point; in above shituation can even pull down, to the amplify the side output too.
But, another trick, would be Prussik for pull line to go on high tension rig line, that is then allowed to pitch down some tightening rigline even more
>>then and only then, because lots less effect before, pull sideways on rig line as if to sweat it/just can't capture the 'purchase'(ABoK), but just leverage sideways.
>>a high energy pulse of sideways movement for limb target. The farther out from hinge that hitchpoint is (but before CoG so doesn't flip) the more self tightening can get in down pitch and more powerful leverage from rope sidepull too.
remote-sweat-tight-and-leveraging-rig-prussic-on-load-leg.png

In trying to move sideways with downward force, generally looking at thinner/weaker/less controlling hinge until get some sideways pressure to force thicker hinge to that direction favored.
Feeling good in right tree, tried a few limbs already, might even go with no face ending in 45 degree(as Murphy tried to lend) , but this is a real judgement call in good wood, generally with leveraged length. Another trick is to exaggerate rope angle with far sides of support to far side of load, even extend out opposing side limb of load for as crank arm, giving almost cradled motion across as trys to roll some.
inducing-better-rope-angle-with-saw-angles-that-complement.png

Tree falling goes from least leveraged to most leveraged position on hinge, but a horizontal limb goes from most leveraged to relieve to less leveraged position.
Start higher than horizontal, that starts hinge with lesser leveraged load to then have thinner hinge response, as is moving now into more horizontal/most loaded leverage position with the thinner/weaker hinge. Downward pull as hinge forming, forges stronger, downward loading after hinge formed just challenges hinge, but not to stronger as when is being forged.
The rope math works with the sideforces to pull because in tension ends pull apart the sideforces pull inwards together to centerline type forces
>>same math in compression shows sideforces power pushing apart of the endpoints horiz as they are pushed together vert in compression
>>another equal and opposite pairing even in the equal opposite force directions of tension/compression!
>>there is consistent logic once catch it's breadth
More offbeat rope math of leveraging to tighter before cutting strategies;
Hyper-tightening-rig-lines-most-initial-restriction_2.png

got lazy/ din't have to draw nuthin this time !

Last edited:
Back