Deals found on eBay/craigslist or whatever

That is a good price if it’s actual oem. Too bad it’s so hard to find those deals with stihl 😂

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That is a good price if it’s actual oem. Too bad it’s so hard to find those deals with stihl 😂
It's oem I sent one to zoo city saws for my 2165 build it's oem

Last edited:
I guess this counts as "whatever".

$350 for a 14" Milwaukee top handle with charger and 8 ah battery. I assume they have a new model coming out soon.

I don't need this. I use my Echo battery saw for pruning and will probably go down the Husqvarna 542i path. I have used the Milwaukee before and it cuts strong but a little slow. It also is very wide which I don't care for.

Another Home Depot deal for the Echo 56V top handle I have. My store has it for $360 before taxes with a battery and charger. I love mine and I am going to grab another. It's not great for removals but most of my work is pruning. I did take down a 10" DBH 45' tall pine with it. Everything had to get rigged out due to the location and lean. The saw did everything including the cut at the base on one battery. I love this saw.

And nicer on your lungs
That's the biggest reason of them all! Lungs are very expensive and we already get a lot of crap in them. I've tried to regularly use dust masks. Makes a big difference at times, particularly in dry weather, especially as summer has long stretches without any rain.

Some chippers have a dust-management water mist at the feed table. I've hear people use garden hoses sometimes to keep the dust down...particularly useful on dead and especially dead and rotten.

I was thinking that myself. As soon as I read that the gears started turning. Chipping crusty wood kinda sucks.

I will have to check the price at Runnings. They usually have a killer price. Harvest King is their brand and I think Mystic is the other. Same price. Both seem fine. One is a little thicker in winter.

I should try canola. Is the wear close to the same?

I'd be cautious using canola in little used saws. It can get a little tacky if it sits for a long time with access to air. I suspect that's what killed the oiler on my poulanpro. Otherwise, I like it a lot. Protects well, and flows great in the winter which is the reason I started using it in the first place.

For storage, I would

Drain the canola from the tank near the end of cutting and run petroleum oil for a bit. Clean your bar groove with a tool and / or compressed air. Run the chain at a medium speed to coat the bar and chain with petro oil.
Drain fuel.
Start the saw and let it idle to clear the fuel system.
Fill your oil tank with petroleum oil to the top to exclude air.

Out of storage---add fuel.
Drain or use up the petro, add canola.

I've used canola for about 15 years. I don't go through any storage procedures.

I've had gunked up bar/ chain from being rode hard and put up wet on the shelf.

Never had an oiler die. The oiler lever is a wear-part. Been through a handful or less of those over 17 years.

People using salvage/ waste veggie oil in diesels start on petro/ biodiesel, get the engine hot and heat the veg oil, then flip a switch for changing fuel tanks. They drive in veg oil, then switch back to regular fuel for some amount of time before shutting off the rig.

Back