Contract climber rate

cory

Tree House enthusiast
How is $75/ hr, 600/day? Seems a tad high, what say you.

That's a pretty fancy pants climber to be able to command that fee. I've made that and more, but it sure wasn't for more than day or two.

Three a day is nice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Agreed. The guy I have in mind is good but idk it seemed a bit high. $400 would seem more reasonable.

$400 is $50/hr, hard to figure a good climber with own gear and insurance would work for less.

That doesn't sound high to me, but I guess it depends on how much you plan on using him and for what.

I charge $100 to $150 per hour depending on how bad it is.

And you have all your insurance I presume. This guy only has liability insurance, that isn't enough Im guessing.

Dave, I didn't realize you contract climbed, thought you only worked for yourself.

One of the local companies here will sometimes take on a job that needs a climber. He knows me and bids accordingly. So definitely not a regular thing but I sure enjoy making a mess that we don't have to clean up.

Insurance is different in each state. If you don't want him to be an employee, I would find out what yours requires.

That seems awful high to me as well. If one commands that kind of money he better be damn good and fast. Also have his own saws. It’s been so long since we’ve hired contract climbers in that I can’t even remember what they got paid.

For the most part, contract climbers are hired to do what the hiring company can't. Definitely short term use, not unlike renting a specialize tool. They should be fully insured and self contained.

This can not be viewed in the same way, or measured against what you would pay an employee. Two completely different situations.

Does the candidate bring all the gear (saws, rope, rigging gear)? Also if the climber drives to the job site, there is a need for commercial insurance on the vehicle.

Holly Molly ! Lots of new people here. man

A daily rate includes many factors. Biggest being what the market in a specific area will bring.
Are you insured ? Have your own gear & saws needed to take on any job? Do you have your own ground man ?
Some jobs I will not do with out my ground man or some one I'm comfortable with. Last thing I want is to look down & see that deer in the head lights look prior to making a cut & have to explain whats happening

Few years back I worked for $275 with truck provided. $300 a day is bare minimum for me. I say this knowing some markets wont bare that rate. I've been at it long enough I can pick & choose

In my area, contract climbing is not a serious option, and never sustainable for making even a modest living for yerself. You can ask anyone, and yer always gonna get the same answer. PNW??? ... a guy'd be a ton better off with a simple mom n pop treeservice. Ask anyone.

Logging?... ZERO contract climbers.

Closest I ever was to contract days was a local big menu guy who did everything "Ato Z" ... crossed over into Trees quite often , according to his ad he was a Tree Service. Quite often he'd beat me on the bid , get the job , and then hire me for the technical work. Nowadays with the DIY homeowner culture it has become my favorite way to sell.

Nowadays with the DIY homeowner culture it has become my favorite way to sell.
Do you specifically advertise contract climbing, or just let a homeowner know it's an option if/when they balk at the price of a job?

$400 is $50/hr, hard to figure a good climber with own gear and insurance would work for less.

Depends on what one would think of as a good climber, which is hard to quantify.
If you were in some ridiculously expensive area, where cost of living is through the roof, or a ridiculous commute like to the Florida Keys for 2 hours each way, I can see $75.

Are they bringing big ropes, big LDs, big saws, risky trees with calmness and certainty, crane-work compatible, bang over trees 1,2,3? Maybe worth $600 if you don't

GL insurance is about the cheapest expense there is, next to bonding. That is what most CCs seem to carry. My GL costs about what One MS 661 costs.

Employees, trucks, chippers, shop space, sales, larger scale accounting, insurances, licenses, etc, etc, etc that are part of a full-service tree company avoided by CCs are the hard parts to manage, IMO.
In my area, contract climbing is not a serious option, and never sustainable for making even a modest living for yerself. You can ask anyone, and yer always gonna get the same answer. PNW??? ... a guy'd be a ton better off with a simple mom n pop treeservice. Ask anyone.

Logging?... ZERO contract climbers.

I'm surprised at this, regarding residential... Seattle or Snoqualimie?

Do you specifically advertise contract climbing, or just let a homeowner know it's an option if/when they balk at the price of a job?
IF customer balks at me price I tell them I’ll RENT them my saw and splitter for $300/day but THEY have to do all the labor and I will provide technical assistance... so far no takers yet ! Considering the cost of tool rental at Home Depot ($70/day for saw and $99/hydraulic splitter) and the fact THEY have to go p/u and drop off plus the fact the tool may not be in tip-top shape / even work !!! (rented stump-grinder that didn’t work - go back explain / exchange for another machine / time lost / driving wear tear pita etc etc - NEVER again) ... Most reconsider the deal and let me have at it while they stay warm in dwelling smoking cigar / drinking beverage

Back