Computer question

stehansen

Climbing Up
What do I have to do to keep from being logged out everytime I don't use the site for a little while or if I close the window?

Are you holding your mouth right?

4pv1ys0.gif

It has something to do with how your computer is saving (or not saving) cookies. I'm going to assume you're using Internet Explorer.
Go to the top toolbar and click tools.
Click Internet Options.
Click the privacy tab.
Under Settings, click the Advanced button.
Adjust your settings to match this picture. Check the 'Override automatic cookie handling' box
Accept first party cookies (the site you're viewing)
Block third party cookies (advertisers)
Check the box to Always allow session cookies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Brian. I figured it was something like that. Everything was like yours except the box allowing the session cookies.

I hope that fixes it. Been a couple years since I used IE and even longer since I dealt with similar problems. If it doesn't work then post up here again tomorrow and we'll find somebody who knows what he's doing. :|:

Fact is, Brian is GOD for us computer illiterates!
I'm normally too shy to ask, but just reading his answers to others have been a great help.

I'm usually too computer illiterate to even formulate the question.

I know absolutely nothing on the programming end of computers, but I've gotten pretty good at using the browsers.

Steve, did the website remember you today?

I had to log in this morning and once so far today when I rebooted. I thought it was because I hadn't close IE or rebooted so maybe the new settings hadn't taken effect. So I rebooted a little while ago and we will see. Facebook made me log in also today. I thought on the old treehouse I went for days without logging in. So I guess the short answer is maybe. I"ll keep you informed.

It occurs that possibly re-installing your operating system might solve the problem. I hear that the cookies thing gets corrupted sometimes. Probably a big hassle though....?

I absolutely wouldn't do that unless there was a major corruption, Jay. This is simply a setting that needs to be changed somewhere. Do you rebuild your chainsaw if it won't start because the kill switch is turned off?

Re-installing my OS is a major PITA. My restore disk sucks. Takes about a day to get everything back. You know I'm having some weird IE issues maybe I'll see if there are any updates.

I know just enough about tweaking computers and programs to be dangerous with them and then have to call for rescue when I cross that threshold .

It's left me in dire straights a few times. But it all eventually works out. That's my story with these F'n things.

Back