Chain Grinders

SouthSoundTree-

TreeHouser
I'm curious what you all use. I started working in the woods, with rocky soils, so I hand-filed my chains, and some terribly beat chains from my crew members. A customer gave me a cheap grinder that has sufficed for some time, but never excelled. Time to upgrade.

I've seen the cheapest Oregon grinder for 180 bucks through northern. Next step seems to be $300.

I believe there is some Italian built knock-offs cheaper. What about other brands besides Oregon. Northern Tool also sells their Roughneck brand. $130, on sale for 99. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200624012_200624012

I don't go through a lot of chain. I don't need to sharpen a ton. I would like to be able to sharpen chain for the 192t, 200t, up to large (handheld) saw chain. All but one rear handle saw has .050/ 3/8". One bar is .404.

Thoughts and recommendations?

You'll want the 300.00 from my understanding Sean. That way you have the exact pivot point on the tooth angle for doing both sides even. The lesser expensive grinders usually are not set up like that 300.00 Oregon and they come out un even.

I will probably have 2-3 of those in a year or so.
Currently, I am only grinding my square chisel on a Silvey. But that chain only sees clean trees for the most part with the occasional surprise. The round chisel sees all the dirty work because I can straighten it out in the field easy.

I have the Oregon 511, I only use it on rocked out chains or when I sharpen a chain for somebody other than myself.

I have a Jolly grinder purchased from Cutter's Direct around 15 years ago.
Very rarely use it, and only on 3/8" chain. Bought a Borazon wheel for it last year (spendy) which grinds much cooler and faster than the stock pink wheel.

Sophia Loren was hot, so I have an Italian one. The Italians at one point seemed to put effort into chain grinders and chain breakers and spinners.

And she is still alive...

Sophia-Loren-sophia-loren-21118176-600-914.jpg

Any updates on grinders these days? Did you end up buying one Sean? I've used a super cheap one before and was unimpressed with how much play all the pivot points had. Any opinions on the Oregon 520-120? Thanks!

Brock

Never bought one. I have been rolling solo a lot, so fewer sharpenings.

@cory ’s clean stump cutting technique (bar nose always inside with a pulling chain, never pushing grit into the kerf) applied at stump cuts and dirty wood alike greatly reduces grinding need. I pretty well forgot I have a cheapo...stumping cut this week went typically, so maybe I’ll pull it out tomorrow. Had forgotten about that dull saw until now.

still curious.

Back