Branch Manager 38 Special Stump Grinder Owners

lumberjack

Young man on the go
I have a potential customer that would like to talk to some current owners of the 38 Special. If you don't mind being a reference for the product/myself, please shoot me a PM (or post here) with your contact info to forward him.

Also, if you'd like to make this thread a reference point for the 38 Special and type up a review, that'd be cool too.

Thanks!

Carl

I've owned one of the first three 38 specials that were sold in NA I believe. So far so good, for the size of my combined unit(I run it mounted on a ramrod 950 mini skid) it's a stump chewing machine. I've only ground with this unit but I've had employees that have run other grinders like a sc252 and have mentioned the 38 is quite a bit faster. Subjective opinion and not even mine I know but that's the feed back I've had.

I've had no mechanical issues with it, motor, bearings have all been good. My controls were/are a little unrefined but I believe that has been changed/upgraded for years now when it went into full production. As a result of how mine is I don't have a functioning hour meter on it so have no idea on total hours. It's out grinding a full day right now, with an employee running it.

Think I got mine in '11, has about 350 hrs (~1500 stumps) on it now... Just finished putting in 40 hours on mine...think I'll take today off...

Squish...yes it is much better to me than the sc252 that I owned previously.

I've been keeping track of costs, time, etc. on the 44 acres that was logged I'm grinding the stumps on (approx 13-1400). getting some pretty good operation-cost data built up.

Carl...PM sent...

I've owned one of the first three 38 specials that were sold in NA I believe. So far so good, for the size of my combined unit(I run it mounted on a ramrod 950 mini skid) it's a stump chewing machine. I've only ground with this unit but I've had employees that have run other grinders like a sc252 and have mentioned the 38 is quite a bit faster. Subjective opinion and not even mine I know but that's the feed back I've had.

I've had no mechanical issues with it, motor, bearings have all been good. My controls were/are a little unrefined but I believe that has been changed/upgraded for years now when it went into full production. As a result of how mine is I don't have a functioning hour meter on it so have no idea on total hours. It's out grinding a full day right now, with an employee running it.

I believe yours was one of the original pre production units I built here in the UK and shipped to Dave at TNT to assemble. They were a bit unrefined, but good to know that nearly 7 years on its still working well.

its still 90% Eds Design, he pioneered the first ones
He graciously said run with his design in N America
Thank you Ed

Very interested in buying one. Want to know...

- how is visibility? Harder to see rocks? Can you angle the articulating loader to see better then sweep?

- is there a remote control unit that can be added to it?

- is it worth it to have quick connect hydraulics since switching attachments daily?

Back