Boxer TL224, Gas tank pressurizing.

littlenick

TreeHouser
I have been having a little problem with my boxer (powerhouse) mini skid steer. The way the fuel tank sits directly above the exhaust it is pressurizing my fuel tank pretty bad. I filled it up all the way the other day not thinking about if it got hot, and i was working on a little bit of an incline and it started pouring gas out of the gas cap. It lasted about 15 minuets and I lost about a 1/2 gallon of gas.

I am a little bit worried that if i was using it for a longer period of time and let the engine get hotter of what would happen. I have thought about moving the tank, or even insulating it a little better...?

Am I crazy or..?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

is there no pressure vent on the fill cap? I would think that should let the pressure bleed before it lets fuel escape, letting 1/2 a gallon of fuel leak over a hot manifold is plain dangerous Nick.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
There is a pressure vent on the fill cap but it still bulges out the fuel tank pretty good when its hot.

I did a small clearing job last weekend and the temp. out side was around 90 degrees. I used it for about an hour straight and when i shut it down you could hear it for about 10 minuets after "hissing". I even unscrewed the cap several times and each time i put it back on about a half minuet later it started hissing again.

perhaps a spacer on the tank mounts or a heat deflection shield might need upgrading?

Thats what I was thinking, I'll see if I can take it off and get some more detailed pictures.

It should not be hissing, either get a new cap or at least back your cap off a thread or so. If you know you will be working on a good hill, don't fill it clear full. I think the bulging is normal as it is a poly tank sitting above the hyd pump, muffler and hyd oil tank, no way it won't get hot. There should be a heat sheild over the muffler.

Thanks willie, I looked at the bottom of the tank today and there is a good 1" from the muffler to the fuel tank, and about a 1/4" sheet of metal on the bottom of the tank. I think I need to get a new cap, I backed the screw out as far as it will go.

Thanks for your input Willie and Paul!

I'll see if i can find a cap that will fit it.

Back