Both 200 and 201T's Fatal Design Flaw

Hardly Fergusons can't have shrouding because there's no fan and it's aesthetics. Relax, it's an old joke from an engine builder expert I knew. Yes, they have to compensate for a hotter rear cylinder, jetting and plug I think. Same for all those cruiser copies.

Jomo, what does your plug look like when the saw dies? Have you spotted any scoring by the exhaust port? Electronics hate heat too. Maybe the saw is too smart and gets brain fade in the heat. Look inside the muffler too. Is it oily, dried, any re-burnt carbon clean, plugged? Port region and expansion chamber lead in affects 2stroke race engines a lot.

I figure the 200T muffler acts as more cooling fins as it's coupled right to the exhaust hot spot on the head and has air blown past it.

"missing n smoking" sounds like it's either choking itself out rich, or going totally lean and temporarily burning oily deposits in the exhaust tract. To see that effect, fart around on a 2 stroke bike for a while then get hard on the pipe and look in the rear view mirror.

wish you the best of luck solving the problem

Also the tiny slot in the muffler (baffle?) the exhaust flows through. Brian fixed mine after three Stihl dealer/service shops could not figure it out. Brian opened the muffler and I think even made the baffle slot wider. Gosh that saw ran great after he fixed it. I should rebuild it someday.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So I took it back to the dealership today.

Paid them 44 bucks to ship it back to the factory for analysis.

The saw was in a pristine state with high compression.

The owner informed me this particular overheating issue's pretty widespread.

Pretty sad when a 30 year old 020 AVE old school trimsaw can make stihl's latest n greatest look so weak n pathetic......

Hopefully it's just an M-Tronic fug up.......

Jomo

I can't believe it's inherent in the saw. That would never make it out of the testing phase. If you were taking down 24" pieces on a hot day, maybe... That's pushing a little saw kinda hard, but the stuff you were doing is exactly what it's made for. Hopefully they figure it out, or give you a new saw.

That would never make it out of the testing phase.
That's one would think, but they have already proven to be able to do such a shitty work and put into production the first gen of 201T. Fitst Mtronic comes to mind too and it still isn't reliable. They seem to have jumped on the trend of the software industry like many other makers : make the most money the quickest possible with a less than perfect product and lets sort out the bugs afternath if really needed be, no matter of the customer service or even the society's reputation. A shame.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've never owned a 200T that didn't have the muffler rattle off, and I bought 4 of them!

It was and still is a design flaw.

Never wore out a 200T's original piston rings or jugs, just the mufflers n jug tags that hold the muffler on......

Jomo

I've never owned a 200T that didn't have the muffler rattle off, and I bought 4 of them!

It was and still is a design flaw.

Never wore out a 200T's original piston rings or jugs, just the mufflers n jug tags that hold the muffler on......

Jomo

Weird.

The muffs on a 200 are supposed to have serrated belleville washers ..I own two of them, one is souped up, no problem either one .That said I've worked on a lot of them and have never seen a muffler rattle loose .

Back