Before & After Tree Care

You can get rid of it....you have to take part or all of the branch that the mistletoe is on, or just take branch off to the fork, not just the mistletoe itself

Actually, I am having good success shaving it off in places. The infestation just can't girdle the branch. I shave it or cut it out down into the cambium and apply spray tar pruning sealer.

Stephen, i can only figure that once you must have worked in a lingerie shop. You can sure dress those trees.

topping or pollarding a eucalyptus of any kind is a bad move long term, if it has already been treated that way I recommend removal 90% of the time.
the trick is explaining to the customer in nice terms that no I will not do that kind of work to this particular type of tree and staying strong several weeks later when you see that some no one else was willing to the same.

I disagree, they react well to a good hiding, (at least in Europe)it's no oil painting but give it a season and it'll look ok.
Go back in a few years and do it again.

Should be feeding this thread all week with end weight reductions and prunes.
Before
e8eqymy6.jpg

After
4adade7u.jpg

No matter how many times I ask the wife to get the same perspective and the whole tree it fall on deaf ears apparently:banghead: I will continue to work on that however.

Finally got some of that Black Oak ThatTreeGuy Dave and I did while he was here.
Before.....

IMG_0504.jpg IMG_0167ed.JPG

After

Attachments

• IMG_0169ed.JPG
    IMG_0169ed.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 40
  • DSCF0050.jpg
    DSCF0050.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 39
I remove some infested limbs (usually smaller) and shave off the larger leaders or limbs to keep structure. If I shave it off with the saw, I am cutting down into cambium, then apply a spray pruning sealer over the wound. This will help kill any of the mistletoe roots that might still be there. EIther through light deprivation or the mere fact of it being a petroleum product :dontknow:
If the infestation is too bad, you usually have to amputate ....
I always try and find something to save in a top or limb cutting back behind the infestation to the next viable node.
The shaving of the infected area and coating it with the sealer (tar) has been very successful for me.
I have trees treated this way over the years that have become vigorous again with nary a sign of the parasite. I had a couple trunks try to sprout that I had not cut in so deep for aesthetic reasons (eye level across from house). But the sprouting was minimal and the treatment was applied again after boring each sprout out with a knife tip. Or spooning it out if you can picture it.
There will always be some latent seeds that will sprout on tips and often at the branch collar. The birds plant it anyway. So seeding can come from afar via bird droppings.
I set up the customer to a 2-3 year cycle of maintenance on the tree. You'll catch any new infestations or latent seed sprouts in that cycle. Any restructuring of the tree can be addressed as well.

I always try and find something to save in a top or limb cutting back behind the infestation to the next viable node.
The shaving of the infected area and coating it with the sealer (tar) has been very successful for me.

Same here; our Phoradendron is not as aggressive as yours though. Here's a 113'7" tuliptree we reduced to ~100' due to severe erosion, and exposure. 065.jpg 081.jpg 074.jpg

Back