Before & After Tree Care

Don't pick a fight with me and then tell me its over. I was simply saying they removed some willows, life goes on, don't stress it. Don't rip me and then tell me that's the end of it. I wasn't ripping you, just offering a "don't look too far into it, it is what it is" approach. I wouldn't agree with taking those river bank trees either. But this is a before and after tree care thread. The after tree care of Andy's work seems brutal to me. Stumps on a bank don't look like tree care. They look like removals.

Sounds more like you are sad that you weren't asked to bid or evaluate the work more then anything. Market better.

Don't pick a fight with me and then tell me its over. I was simply saying they removed some willows, life goes on, don't stress it. Don't rip me and then tell me that's the end of it.
Sounds more like you are sad that you weren't asked to bid or evaluate the work more then anything. Market better.

Who's picking a fight? Get off your high horse and get over yourself. Who is ripping who here? Since those willows re gonna re sprout, they will require "after" care won't they?
Some jobs aren't worth the negative PR they can generate, so there ain't no sadness here over not getting that job, lol.

A lot of trees are getting munched in the wide median separating the north and southbound lanes of the highway.
They provided a nice visual barrier from oncoming traffic / headlights, as well as looking nice.
Wanna guess why they got chipped? Actual reason (from a Fowler Co. foreman associated with the work): there was money left in the budget, and if it didn't get spent, the budget could get cut next year. Make Work, pure and simple.
Unless you have the inside track that those trees were interfering with any future bridge repairs, your speculation is specious.

Nah, we can rule out that possibility, Butch. Several equipment Rent-All outfits in town, vs. a two hour round trip commute.........unless they are coming back to carve stumps into raccoons and beavers. :D
I carved a Manitoba Maple (box elder) stump into a big corn cob once that was beside a Produce vendor. He painted it yellow, and was quite proud of it.

I cut a Magnolia down once to a 4' stub and my one and only saw broke down. I left and never got back to it and that sucker completely grew back over a 10 year period.

Some jobs aren't worth the negative PR they can generate, so there ain't no sadness here over not getting that job, lol.

Recently, a mess of trees on the popular Lakeshore Dr here in town were removed. All on the north side of the beach, which means a whole pile of nice, shady spots to drop a towel down and hang out are no longer available. Not to mention a bunch of perfectly healthy trees were removed for what appears to be supercillious reasons. Remove trees to upgrade a walkway was the rationale, but the only trees which were actually causing any damage to said walkway were not removed...Maybe they were sick of maintaining them. But, we need a rejuvenation apparantly. It would have made sense to plant their replacement trees (which are part of the installation of the new walkway:|:) years ago so there would have been at least some canopy coverage when the time came to axe the larger trees, but few and far between are the intersections of sensible decisions and government.

Politics, grant money and an ill advised move on the part of our local government led to a contractor removing some of the most beloved, visible trees along an iconic route in town. And I'm not particularly inflammed that the contractor was not me. I would say, Pelorus, be happy you had the opportunity to spend some quality time in an important part of that river's ecological history...but also be glad that you weren't the one who removed it.

be happy you had the opportunity to spend some quality time in an important part of that river's ecological history...but also be glad that you weren't the one who removed it.

Both the town and District Municipality (that the town is in) have tree cutting bylaws. Which for the most part are un enforceable; they exist mainly to discourage residents from doing what the town has done. I'm making a couple of polite inquiries. If there was a valid reason to have that work done, eg. park expansion, shoreline rehabilitation, retaining wall construction, bridge repairs, etc, then what's done is done, and life goes on.

The work done re. willows along riverbank appears to contravene the town's own municipal tree policy which can be viewed here:
http://www.huntsville.ca/en/DocumentUploads/Bylaws/doc_634336307684210914.pdf

Additionally, no further work is planned for that site; the trees were removed because they were "unsightly".
The local paper: Huntsville Forester will be posting a photo or photos on Wednesday, and an article the following week.

Ah...unsightly trees.

Where's Blake when you need him?

“The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing that stands in the way. Some see nature all ridicule and deformity... and some scarce see nature at all. But to the eyes of the man of imagination, nature is imagination itself.”

Frauds should be outed. I think that Urbane Forester is pretty unsightly--remove his asp asap.

Show them a better way!

Some mistletoe before and after and a pine hanger/lower dead removal.
1 Before.jpg After.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0320.jpg
    DSC_0320.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC_0362ed.jpg
    DSC_0362ed.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC_036ed6.jpg
    DSC_036ed6.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 60
The two I did last fall there were really in trouble. They are leafing out fantastically.. That spurred the client ionto letting me help that oak breathe better as well. :) Thanks Leon :)

Pine looks like it was topped earlier--consider light reduction to lessen splitting hazard?

Back