Before & After Tree Care

Probably don't plant poplars in cities, either.

I'd think linden would grow just as well in St. Petersburg

Just out of curiosity Andrew...
It's the contract you're tied to which forces you to carry out the job in that way or it's your own choice?

I mean ....

One possibility is that they don't have enough money for tree maintenance so they tell you to cut as low as possible ( controversial choice, IMO...thinking about future maintenance).

The other is that they trust you completely and you think that's the better way to manage those trees.

...they'll sprout out again, not to worry about that.

Just out of curiosity Andrew...
It's the contract you're tied to which forces you to carry out the job in that way or it's your own choice?

I mean ....

One possibility is that they don't have enough money for tree maintenance so they tell you to cut as low as possible ( controversial choice, IMO...thinking about future maintenance).

The other is that they trust you completely and you think that's the better way to manage those trees.

...they'll sprout out again, not to worry about that.

In this case I followed the instructions of the customer (Customer - municipal garden and park firm) ...

Left enough room for some regrowth to block the buildings view without blocking the water view. nice.

camera was farther back on the after shot which throws it off a tad.
An easy species to work with huh?

Andrew, I gotta wonder what the owner would have said if you had suggested that higher, smaller and more cuts would lead to less rot, slower sprouting and less problems in the future, with no increase in maintenance cost; maybe less.

Nearby Town (the same one that burlaps white pine street trees) had these willows removed last week by a company with green trucks.

I don't know the rationale behind the removals. Perhaps a fear that they would topple into the water tear out the bank. Maybe reduction pruning and/or guying should/could have been considered? stumps will resprout?, but right now it looks brutal, and erosion waiting to happen.

SAM_0686.jpg

SAM_0688.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Dont blame the trucks cause they are green! :) I bet the left the stumps because it would a PITA to haul em... Or maybe to prevent erosion? Did they use a crane?

Yeah, they used a crane. I removed a willow that had fallen in the river (same spot) several years ago with the help of a log truck parked tight to the fence. That bank is steeper than it looks.
This recent work was done at the behest of the Parks and Rec Dept. The head of that dept. is quite involved with the ISA, and knowledgeable about tree care, so the removals (by a non-local outfit) kinda surprised me. Politics.

Nearby Town (the same one that burlaps white pine street trees) had these willows removed last week by a company with green trucks.

I don't know the rationale behind the removals. ...
should be public info; would be eeennteresting to find out. Looks like a major loss in water quality alone, and a future splitting nightmare when those sprouts get big.

bonner, if he answered я не говорю английски i would say "O yes you do". :P

When the green trucks roll, the trees better hide! Politics...and Economics. Both the green trucks and the yellow trucks are fueled by payola. :big-money:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
should be public info; would be eeennteresting to find out. Looks like a major loss in water quality alone, and a future splitting nightmare when those sprouts get big.

bonner, if he answered я не говорю английски i would say "O yes you do". :P

When the green trucks roll, the trees better hide! Politics...and Economics. Both the green trucks and the yellow trucks are fueled by payola. :big-money:

Thats mis-founded generalization. I ride a Big Green Truck, for a residential office and we do high quality, responsible tree care. Compared to most of the other companies in our area we charge a premium price and provide premium work.

But hey its easy to throw rocks. I also imagine that like everyone else that complains about vegetation management practices you arent into things like television, blenders, the global economy, electric guitar, cell phones, hospitals or any of the other things that completely rely on a functioning national and local electrical distribution grid. I for one think we should sacrifice modern medicine for the bleeding heart tree huggers.

Its not payola running the trucks pal, its good old fashioned necesity.

Dont blame the trucks cause they are green! :)

I've got no beef with the Big Green Machine.
It is the un-tendered bid process that gets followed in order to give work to an out-of-town company that is irritating.
And the work that was done looks kinda sketchy, to put it mildly.
I will try to dig up some photos of work I did at that site about 5 years ago. I pruned the largest willow whose stump is closest to the bridge, and recall it being a pretty nice tree at the time.
This same Town has numerous dead elms on municipal property that don't get removed. Some have been standing dead for several years. The tree priorities seem all screwed up, and I have written a Letter-to-the-Editor of local paper that highlighted some of these concerns about a year ago.

I've got no beef with the Big Green Machine either, just with the unfair competitive advantage from untendered bid processes that get followed in order to give work to an out-of-town company.

The work looks to have nothing to do with utility pruning, so the treehugger blast is a faulty and *failed* attempt at a derail. Sorry if i hit a nerve but whacking willows on a riverbank and leaving 5' stumps is hard to explain. Care to try?
"The client made me do it!" will not fly. If there is A300 compliance, the arborist establishes the objective with the client. Water quality has to be part of the objective on that site, doesn't it?

If the town screws up in its tree decisions--see burlap saltproofing--that is no excuse for any color of contractor to pull crap like that. Good luck Pel on getting the facts--don't be afraid to file a FOIA if you hit stone walls and coverups.

I don't know the rationale behind the removals. Perhaps a fear that they would topple into the water tear out the bank. Maybe reduction pruning and/or guying should/could have been considered? stumps will resprout?, but right now it looks brutal, and erosion waiting to happen.

View attachment 46723

View attachment 46724

You're overanalyzing. It looks like several trees got taken down. Plain and simple.

Your right, Tucker; it's "brutal" to top street side poplars on another continent, but ok to remove willows stabilizing a riverbank over here. The leap in logic is insurmountable to me, so I'll agree to disagree and leave it at that.
Love,
Dave

Back