Before & After Tree Care

Even if you cut a poplar at a stump height it will sprout out again and again....:/:

Let the Trametes' feast start :P

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Andrew (maximalist), I want to thank you for contributing so much to his thread! Its not easy especially in the face of adversity. While some of the stuff seems extreme it appears you have a handle on what you are doing in addition to experience and photo evidence of your practices success.

I will be very interested to see those poplars in a few years or even 10... Make sure to show us the progress and as always keep up the posting!

That's why his name isn't Minimalist.
Thanks Rumi, if i ever change my moniker that will be it!

Or maybe Mediumalist...

But seriously, climbing higher and taking less might result in:
less rot,
slower sprouting,
less maintenance,
more conservation of contributions.

The preference varies with assignment and market so i'm trying not to be judgmental, but...

Andrew (maximalist), I want to thank you for contributing so much to his thread! Its not easy especially in the face of adversity. While some of the stuff seems extreme it appears you have a handle on what you are doing in addition to experience and photo evidence of your practices success.

I will be very interested to see those poplars in a few years or even 10... Make sure to show us the progress and as always keep up the posting!
I will attempt to...

Let the Trametes' feast start :P

Not so much in the cold climates that Andrew and I work in.

Some of the old road side poplars that have been whacked a hundred years ago, are still alive. Hollow, but alive.

P7290020.jpg

Always something to learn.... Just a joke anyway.

Without any judgment here too, but really can't see any advantage in that kind of practice.

Not talking about the fact that those poles just look ugly,but thinking that keeping them safe near the power lines will result in an expensive maintenance for sure.

Definitely some very cool pictures posted here and in the pollarding thread Stig referenced in his post above.
I've never encountered a pollarding practitioner before, or seen one in action, so it's all very new and alien to me.

Reason it was done here was for harvesting the shoots and new branches. So the trees were topped low enough that people could reach the tops from low ladders but cattle /horses couldn't.
No giraffes here, fortunately.

Here is a picture I posted of some: https://www.masterblasterhome.com/showthread.php?15434-Traditional-pollarding

They've been doing the same here on Mulberries and Willows for centuries (feedstock for silkworms, making baskets, feeding cattle and so on).
Was not talking about that kind of practice nor about your pic.
Pollarding is one thing , leaving a pole is another one, IMHO.
And I don't think it is a reasonable way to manage city trees.
just my worthless opinion.

The Russian way is pretty extreme.
But then Russia is a pretty extreme place.

Have at it then. But truth be told, it was you inquiring about a particular set of gaffs recently, so that makes me think they factor into your work somewhere.

Plus, you cant count childhood tree climbing without gaffs. I don't think any of us were rolling up to our tree fort on a set of Bucks when we were 9. 8)

Back