Before & After Tree Care

That just looks like fun... I love a tree you can swing around in like that :)
As long as the wraptor handles the ascent, fer sher!

Beautiful job on the magnolia; seeing it respond in a few years will be better yet.

Hey Maximalist, we did not mean to drive you off! I was just curious whether that magazine is still being published.

Magnolias seem to be very forgiving. I've seen some hack jobs that didn't look bad in a few years. They appear to have a self correcting feature.

I'm pretty sure if the tree had its say, it would politely decline the procedure.

:drink:

Good one, Butch! I don't think you are saying that it shouldn't be done, just that when a customer has his/her heart set on such a thing then it will generally be the outcome whether you do it or not. And, I've experienced the same thing where I'm at, and the result is that I pollard trees. But, I do it well. Also, I am generally working on trees that have been topped before. I think once a tree has been topped the the best recourse for the tree moving forward seems to be restructuring, but this is generally disregarded by clients in favour of re-pollarding. I just completed a job which involved re-pollarding trees that I had restructured in the previous pruning cycle, which looked great btw, but then had to re-pollard these trees because they were "just too darned big" and "they blocked out all the sun." Ah, well. I cut trees.

Can't win them all Dylan. But we can cash the check and try to play a good game on the next one (s).

true that. if people value sunlight more than shade, (some of) the tree's gotta go. Those who stand fast to "remove and replace" in these cases may be ignoring the benefits of a mature pollard, even one with issues, vs. a struggling sapling that may never reach that level of contributions.

Magnolias seem to be very forgiving. I've seen some hack jobs that didn't look bad in a few years. They appear to have a self correcting feature.

True. Here there is the bad habit to trim them as a cone or a pyramid: you can see some trimmed so hard that there is not even one leaf left.
( Easier and faster to make a good pyramid shape if you leave only the wood...:roll:). After a few years they still seem to be in good shape.......
Don't know how they do.
they're strong for sure....seems like they have a lot of patience too :what:

Personally I don't like that. When they are left to grow in their natural shape , it's one of my favourite tree. They can become really beautiful.

I just completed a job which involved re-pollarding trees that I had restructured in the previous pruning cycle, which looked great btw, but then had to re-pollard these trees because they were "just too darned big" and "they blocked out all the sun." Ah, well. I cut trees.

Ah. Funny ...been talking about this yesterday with a friend.
They never say they get big or tall.Trees just get TOO big or TOO tall.

I'd really like to understand in comparison to what .....:/:

What kind of trees are they? Can't ID them from the pics.
How often do you trim them ? every year or two?

Nice ladder you have there Maximalist! :)

I trim them every 3 years.
St. Petersburg must have a lot of money, to pay for tree trimming that often!

24 kg--I hope that more than one person is moving that around.

Looks like you made the cuts further out this time. Smaller wounds = less decay, not a bad idea.

I saw gray poplars in Mick Jagger's part of London get cut a lot harder than that. 30% crown reduction was specced, but the crew claimed they could not climb high enough to do 30%, so they took 80% instead. They should have a big Zarges ladder!

Maximalist, using paint is something American arborists are told not to do, but our ANSI A300 standards allow it in some cases. If there are horizontal wounds on soft wood like poplar, it might be a good idea. And paint should not hurt the tree if it is only on the wood.

Does St. Petersburg say how to do the work, or do they leave the decision up to the company?

Back