The Tree House loves TreeStuff!

Australian timbers

LUMBERJACKSON

Treehouser
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice posts and welcome.

Bit of info on Red Ceder. They first found it near where I used to live, long gone from there now. Pretty rare up here unless you go really off track.

Very interesting article. Thanks for posting that

LUMBERJACKSON

Treehouser
Does it seem to everyone else that Australia has a really disproportionately huge ratio of awsome dudes per capita?
There is a pretty high proportion of wankers that seem to have a hard time being themselves here too mate.. but i guess they are everywhere in the world today

flushcut

TreeHouser
What are you making? Anything or just selling the limber?

Probably looks amazing all polyed up and polished!

LUMBERJACKSON

Treehouser
Im selling all but one of seven slabs.. il make a coffee table to probably sell with the slab i keep. Its awesome timber so nice to work with so soft those slabs took seven mins on average each to cut i think thats pretty quick

lxskllr

Treehouser
I like that look. I'd be interested in a method that could reliably reproduce it. Not exactly sure what I'd use it for, but some shelves would be cool.

LUMBERJACKSON

Treehouser
Yeah i dont really mind it and It looks good on a rim of a bowl if you just leave the saw marks.. anyone have any ideas why its leaving such a rough surface like this?? Its a double skip ripping chain at 10° new chain and i keep it sharp. I thought maybe winch speed as well as such soft wood.. trial n error. Its fine selling as is for re-sawing being 70mm thick the buyer can do what they want with it then.
Il be cutting some hard stuff in a week or two we will see what happens then

pete mctree

Treehouser
How aggressive is the chain ? If it is a bit "grabby" you might have to slow it down a little. Chain tension a little slack can cause it too, especially with a winch - the chain will pull itself off the bar partially allowing it to roll sideways.
Nothing that can't be sorted out by sanding or planing- really nice colour in it.

pete mctree

Treehouser
The bar n chain look all good. Il try slowing it down on winch and throttle. Sure its tight enough and sharp.
Keep the throttle open - good chain speed and a slower cut might work. Be careful that your saw is not running a little lean though.
It's all trial and error in the end, which is the enjoyable part of learning

LUMBERJACKSON

Treehouser
Keep the throttle open - good chain speed and a slower cut might work. Be careful that your saw is not running a little lean though.
It's all trial and error in the end, which is the enjoyable part of learning
Ok will do. I run 40:1 and keep saw idling a minute between cuts. Yeah its very enjoyable alright i love it.. should be selling more slabs this week. Then invest in a 42inch bar i think. Have a 36inch g.b titanium pro top bar on it now

stig

Patron saint of bore-cutters
Nope.
Been there,done that.
My partner and an old apprentice have bought a trailer mounted mill.
Beats the HELL out of doing it with a saw.

lxskllr

Treehouser
I like the portability, lightness, and low cost of a chainsaw mill, but I don't particularly enjoy doing it. It's fine for accomplishing a task, but I don't consider the csm a hobby.

The Tree House Loves TreeStuff!