Anyone using a Jonsered 2172 or Husky 372 X-torq

Reddog

TreeHouser
Anyone running the new Jred 2172 or Husky 372 xtorq?
I am looking to switch to a heated grip saw and Stihl is not importing them into US any more.

I am understanding that the new 2172 and 372 xtorq are some sort of strato charged design but not to the same level as the 576xp.

I have a 2172 in pieces! LOL It lost the piston pin circlip and took out the topend (bought it this way). The XT is supposed to run quite well, better than a regular 372. They aren't a lot of differences, they basically just stratofied the topend.

I also have a 576 and numerous regular 372's. The 576 seems to be a bit faster, but it is close. It's hard to really tell as they sound quite different.

The 576 is smoother, but the 372 is a lot smoother than a 440/460. 576 is heavier too.

The best thing about the 372xt, is that the 365xt is the same exact saw, except the transfer covers. Buy a 365xt, take off the tranfer covers, grind the fins flat, reinstall.....it's now a 372xt and you have $ in your pocket.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well I ordered a 372 xpg today, should have it next week.

Thanks for the input GO, hopefully I don't have a circlip problem. :)

I ran it for a few cuts today, so far I seems nice.
When I get a chance to run it hard for a while I will update this.

I have a 2172 in pieces! LOL It lost the piston pin circlip and took out the topend (bought it this way). The XT is supposed to run quite well, better than a regular 372. They aren't a lot of differences, they basically just stratofied the topend.

Greatoutdoors, are these running a split carb? Or is the strato using fuel charged air?

One thing I have noticed is that the saw does not come back to an idle very quickly after a finishing a hard cut.
I may try adjusting the low speed jet and idle to see if this can be worked out.
It is a little irritating to stand there for a few seconds after finishing the cut waiting for the chain to stop spinning. Other than that no complaints, it pulls hard and revs well even in the cut.

One thing I have noticed is that the saw does not come back to an idle very quickly after a finishing a hard cut.
I may try adjusting the low speed jet and idle to see if this can be worked out.
It is a little irritating to stand there for a few seconds after finishing the cut waiting for the chain to stop spinning. Other than that no complaints, it pulls hard and revs well even in the cut.

Greatoutdoors, are these running a split carb? Or is the strato using fuel charged air?

The intake boot is split, unlike the 575/576 that use a separate setup with strato tubes.

As for the idle, I believe their was a service update for these saws as some people were having problems with starting. Maybe ask you dealer if their was an service bulletins for it. I read about it over on AS.

The saw not coming down to idle is probably carb related, but have ran into some saws with air leaks that only really showed when the saw was hot.

The fact that the strato portion is using fuel charged air tells me why it doesn't idle down quick. It needs to burn off the extra charge that is floating around in the ports and head.

I do see that you can switch them over to a old xp P/C. So that is always a option.

Well after running this saw some more here is a updated review.

Pros: Good running saw, pulls hard in the cut. Starts well cold 6 or less pulls most times. Good old standard screw caps. Fuel usage is in line with the 441. Anti vib seems to work well.

Cons: Chain can spin a long time when compared to the old non-strato 372, seems to take a few seconds to wind down. Leaks 4 times the oil as compared to the Stihl's in storage, this applies to the 346xp also.

So all and all a good saw so far.

So a little longer term update.

Never could get the idle down after the cut adjusted out at the carb. Couldn't find a air leak either.

So I just converted it back to a old style OEM 372 P/C.

Runs just like the older 372/044 now. Which means it rips right along. :D

List of parts needed for the swap.

372XP P/C.
385 xp intake boot
385 throttle cable/carb clamp and insert washer.
372xp intake band clamp.

Used a wood chisel to remove the air filter horn divider.
Reassembled and adjusted the carb.

Might not be everyone's cup O tea.
Worth it, well to me it is cause it allowed me to keep the heated grips. And I really like the handling of the 70cc class saws.
As I see it this puts me in a place to wait out a couple more years to see what happens with direct FI.

Sounds like you got it dialed. But if anything changes, you'll like a 576.

For the record I have no use for the 570-576 or what ever version of that POS they are on now.

That's why I own a 390xpg, if your going to carry weight it might as well have power.

Far different experience with a 575 here. Never skips a beat going on 11 yrs. Saw brand new 372 on the self at my local dealer was so tempted.

All things heavenly rarify to air. Trèès pŕoduce that heavenly air. Breathe air and take care.

Cory you do know they released another batch of 372XP's not to be confused with 372X-torq's.

If it is a xp and you prefer 70cc saws go for it.

Idk, I had a few new 372s to replace stolen ones and they were straight junk. Horrible to start hot or cold. A buddy has one, same exact thing with his 372.

But if they are working for you, that's a good thing.

Ha, I'm not sure. I bought them about 2 years ago, if that perhaps helps narrow down what 372s were available then.

Yes Magnus, Cory hates the 372 X-torqs.

I never had the issues Cory did, Mine ran well and stayed tuned. Just the longer time to idle down after a hard cut was irritating when compared to a non strato.

So I had a couple winters on x-torq P/C so switching it to a XP P/C seemed like a good choice.
So now I am back to non strato 50cc, 70cc, and 88cc XPG saws. I plan to run these a few more years and see what is available then.

I ran many 372's of the old style. Had two of my own.
I ran some 372 X-torq but this is IMO crap. I don't like them and will not get any for my own use other than for collection. Gutless and won't last. Put anything bigger than 20" on them here and you cook them.
Same with 575/576.

IMO there is no HVA 70cc worth buying. I ask the customers to take 390 instead. It is about same weight as 576 and a lot more saw.

I run a 576 hard and long, great saw for me. The 395 is excellent too but no need to lug it around except for big wood.

390/385 is a different animal than 395.

I have yet to see a 575/576 live long enough to run 1000hrs... Usually blow before that.
Same with all X-Torq as a matter of fact... I don't think I have seen any of them that run more than 1000hrs.
One 560 was close, one 575 was also close, but still pretty bad results.

I heard a rumor of one that had a 560 he ran almost a year here that supposedly had 1700hrs runtime.
He promiced to show it to me, but he keeps forgetting it as he comes to pick up stuff here.

Back