anyone use a rollback / hooklift

murphy4trees

TreeHouser
I just got an F-550. It only has a flatbed. So I need some cans. I got it mainly to clean up stump chips, but I think it will have a lot of uses and may end up developing into a business of its own. The 550 is light for tree work, but if it works out I may get a heavier truck. This had a 7.3 Powerstroke with 135,000 miles. I've got 10K into the truck. Cans are going to be another 2,800ish each

This maple trunk was covered in poison ivy, so it was good to get it out in one cut.

I have a feeling the hook lifts are a game-changer. Any experience or advice?

@Merle Nelson has a 5500 hook lift.

Mine is a little bigger. I couldn’t make the payload make sense for me on a smaller chassis (or without the tag axle). 31 yard box, 23klb empty with the container.
5C5EBFEC-24D0-4CB4-BCD4-FEC5A56B7C14.jpeg

Turns better with the tag up
Similar capacity to a tandem
Load on rear axle is adjustable, which means the load on the front axle is adjustable, especially with sliding the jib on the hoist
Truck is lighter and cheaper with a shorter chassis height
Smaller hoist, I got that hoist new for below dealer cost... it'd be underkill for a true tandem (24klb rated hoist vs a 40k+ rated hoist).

The hoist manufacturer specs a single axle chassis for that 24klb loader, which I think doesn't do the situation justice. The single axle chassis was ~12klb, the hoist is 4klb. Add a container and you might have 10klb of payload meaning doing tree work you'll be constantly practically overloaded (excluding legalities) before you tow a trailer with a decently loaded tongue making for a miserable experience. Add a tag axle and you have better turning radius with the drive axle moved forward, can haul variable loads in the container and on the tongue, have better braking... long story short I'm a big fan of the high lifting tag axle. If I built a tandem hook lift I could easily see me putting a tag on the back of it for the same reasons (with a bigger hoist).

Just watched your video, didn't realize the truck was already built (was skimming this morning knowing I'd come back to the thread). For $10k that's tough to beat. I wouldn't go buck wild with smaller containers that only fit that truck. So far I only have one container for my truck 2 years later. I don't really want to be a container service, there's better money doing tree work/hauling tree debris. If I had employees, that could certainly change. I could also see adding a container for a specific job or circumstance. Being able to put the container on the ground makes it far easier to load the high volume container, especially with big/huge wood, like wood big enough you cut/rotate it so it will fit inside the width of the container kinda huge.

Looks like a worker for a great price Daniel. Congrats.

I had a couple of cans built in a beefy way to haul logs. Accept more steel cuts down on payload. I would suggest going as light on the can as you could feel good about on the 550/5500. Then before you load it in ways that put side pressure in the walls have a plan for supporting them - strap or chain from side to side near the doors or something like that.

I love mine. Aluminum chip box is next for me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Turns better with the tag up
Similar capacity to a tandem
Load on rear axle is adjustable, which means the load on the front axle is adjustable, especially with sliding the jib on the hoist
Truck is lighter and cheaper with a shorter chassis height
Smaller hoist, I got that hoist new for below dealer cost... it'd be underkill for a true tandem (24klb rated hoist vs a 40k+ rated hoist).

The hoist manufacturer specs a single axle chassis for that 24klb loader, which I think doesn't do the situation justice. The single axle chassis was ~12klb, the hoist is 4klb. Add a container and you might have 10klb of payload meaning doing tree work you'll be constantly practically overloaded (excluding legalities) before you tow a trailer with a decently loaded tongue making for a miserable experience. Add a tag axle and you have better turning radius with the drive axle moved forward, can haul variable loads in the container and on the tongue, have better braking... long story short I'm a big fan of the high lifting tag axle. If I built a tandem hook lift I could easily see me putting a tag on the back of it for the same reasons (with a bigger hoist).

Just watched your video, didn't realize the truck was already built (was skimming this morning knowing I'd come back to the thread). For $10k that's tough to beat. I wouldn't go buck wild with smaller containers that only fit that truck. So far I only have one container for my truck 2 years later. I don't really want to be a container service, there's better money doing tree work/hauling tree debris. If I had employees, that could certainly change. I could also see adding a container for a specific job or circumstance. Being able to put the container on the ground makes it far easier to load the high volume container, especially with big/huge wood, like wood big enough you cut/rotate it so it will fit inside the width of the container kinda huge.
That all makes a lot of sense. I don't covet much in this world, but the moment I laid eyes on your truck I just wanted it.

I'm going to get started with a couple of containers and modify the flatbed to haul logs. Any suggestions for how to build the bunks? They won't need to be that high as the loads can't get that heavy. Concerned that the load could get jammed when dumping. Maybe some removable stakes and multiple straps for the logs and then some stake body sides for hauling stump chips. This is a lighter 550 with a GVW of 17,500 instead of 19,500. Has some new injectors, but that was her maiden voyage. We have yet to see how she pulls a real load.

I'd like to be able to drop a can on a job and go. But it makes sense to have interchangeable cans built to be used on a bigger truck too. I have an old international cab and chassis, automatic, with 25,999 GVW that I bought as a spare for my chip truck, but never uses. That would make sense to be the next truck to put a hook lift on if I could get it built and the truck maintained for a reasonable price.

I'm also thinking about specializing in hauling tree debris as a green container service. Limbs and wood only. The container services around here charge 150 for transportation plus 65/ton for weight. I'm thinking we could save a lot on the weight as we won't need to pay that much for the tipping fees if the material is well processed.

Looks like a worker for a great price Daniel. Congrats.

I had a couple of cans built in a beefy way to haul logs. Accept more steel cuts down on payload. I would suggest going as light on the can as you could feel good about on the 550/5500. Then before you load it in ways that put side pressure in the walls have a plan for supporting them - strap or chain from side to side near the doors or something like that.

I love mine. Aluminum chip box is next for me.

That's a great idea and the most important consideration. Maybe a removable cross-member. At least a heavy ratchet strap. Lots to think about, appreciate the advice.

If you are going to be getting a few containers, i would look into getting nesting ones. That way you can carry several empties in one trip, spread them or drop at different jobs, then grab them all later. I would also look into any permits you need in the area, i know some places get very weird if you drop a container.

That all makes a lot of sense. I don't covet much in this world, but the moment I laid eyes on your truck I just wanted it.

I'm going to get started with a couple of containers and modify the flatbed to haul logs. Any suggestions for how to build the bunks? They won't need to be that high as the loads can't get that heavy. Concerned that the load could get jammed when dumping. Maybe some removable stakes and multiple straps for the logs and then some stake body sides for hauling stump chips. This is a lighter 550 with a GVW of 17,500 instead of 19,500. Has some new injectors, but that was her maiden voyage. We have yet to see how she pulls a real load.

I'd like to be able to drop a can on a job and go. But it makes sense to have interchangeable cans built to be used on a bigger truck too. I have an old international cab and chassis, automatic, with 25,999 GVW that I bought as a spare for my chip truck, but never uses. That would make sense to be the next truck to put a hook lift on if I could get it built and the truck maintained for a reasonable price.

I'm also thinking about specializing in hauling tree debris as a green container service. Limbs and wood only. The container services around here charge 150 for transportation plus 65/ton for weight. I'm thinking we could save a lot on the weight as we won't need to pay that much for the tipping fees if the material is well processed.

Dumping out of bunks sounds like a bad time waiting to happen... short walls could handle the logs and not have the same snagging/bending issues.

Do you have your CDL? Life is more fun when you're not limited to 26klb.

An alternative idea to nesting containers would be hauling the second container on a trailer. The trailer could be as simple as a flatbed that you chain the container down on, or as elaborate as a trailer with a built in hook lift hoist.... my preference would be on the simpler side.

Hauling tree debris for hire favors a grapple truck, not containers, I think.

If you are going to be getting a few containers, i would look into getting nesting ones. That way you can carry several empties in one trip, spread them or drop at different jobs, then grab them all later. I would also look into any permits you need in the area, i know some places get very weird if you drop a container.
good ideas..... thanks

Cool beans murphy4trees ! I’m gonna hafts call the “saw police” on ya though , throwin that’s STIHL like that at 40sec :O

Back