Any Rope Wrench or Hitch Hiker users here?

Actually, I thinks it's a VT not an XT. All I do is make sure that the cord from the top wrap goes UNDER the first braid. There is only just enough of the original beeline to do this. I'll try out the 'standard' HH hitch today with some new HRC and also throw a pinto pulley underneath–mainly to keep the carabiner aligned as that's one thing that messes with the slack tending.

View attachment 57144

That's a good picture. :)
Ayuh, looks like a VT. I'm going to try the XT, I've had very good results on my ZK1 RW..... :thumbup:;)

Welcome, Steve. Sean, here.

Do you get a lot of sit-back with the VT? inches? The prescribed valdotain has very little.

Yeah, there was a lot of sit-back which didn't matter so much when spiking up or ascending directly up the rope but definitely a pain when moving along branches.

So I tried out the recommended 6 wrap Valdotain with some new HRC yesterday and discovered the joys of little or no sit-back. Hopefully not a case of NHCE - New Hitch Cord Euphoria. Also threw a pinto below to keep the HH carabiner aligned.

Steve

...So I tried out the recommended 6 wrap Valdotain with some new HRC yesterday and discovered the joys of little or no sit-back. Hopefully not a case of NHCE - New Hitch Cord Euphoria. Also threw a pinto below to keep the HH carabiner aligned.

Steve

If you find the need to try another hitch later on, I've been having very good results with the distel hitch.

I think it was a different thread. Paul mentioned that he terminates his DdRT rope on the HH by passing through the ring, and using a stopper knot. Genius.

I've always used a Distel. I braid it back around the rope at the end and AP almost self-tends on Vortex. I really like that setup. . .

Had some trouble on Friday with a sticky Hitch Hiker. A foggy day so everything a bit wet and the 6 wrap Valdotain was jerky on descent. But the worst part–during ascent when I sat back on the hitch–noticed the dog bone getting stuck 90º from normal hence the hitch cord too was being bent 90º around the holes on the dog bone.

Didn't work any better after changing from HRC to 8mm Armor-Pruss.

Access line: 7/16" Blue Water Assault Line - a few years old now but it worked fine earlier in the week when everything was dry.

Steve

Did it flatten your line out. I "in the past" owned a hh and used it on xtc fire it flattened the line out and the valdotain was jerky as well. But it wasn't moist out it was 105 in Birmingham, al. hope that helps.

Had some trouble on Friday with a sticky Hitch Hiker. A foggy day so everything a bit wet and the 6 wrap Valdotain was jerky on descent. But the worst part–during ascent when I sat back on the hitch–noticed the dog bone getting stuck 90º from normal hence the hitch cord too was being bent 90º around the holes on the dog bone.

Didn't work any better after changing from HRC to 8mm Armor-Pruss.

Access line: 7/16" Blue Water Assault Line - a few years old now but it worked fine earlier in the week when everything was dry.

Steve

Steve,
I've been climbing on my HH for over 1 1/2 years and I have been searching for over a year to find that "perfect" hitch/hitch cord combination. :?
Seems like I'll get something that works good/great and after "a while"(sometimes just during that climb, sometimes after several climbs)it will
start getting "sticky". I need to have something that releases and tends easily 'cause I think I'm starting to get tendinitis in my forearms.
That's one of the reasons I'm using the RopeWrench more, much easier to tend......
I don't think I've ever had my dogbone get stuck like you're describing, do you happen to have a picture?

Did it flatten your line out. I "in the past" owned a hh and used it on xtc fire it flattened the line out and the valdotain was jerky as well. But it wasn't moist out it was 105 in Birmingham, al. hope that helps.

Charles,
I noticed my rope "flattening out" from the beginning. Not sure if it has anything to do with hitch performance?
Usually it's close to my T.I.P. where "most" of my work takes place that I notice the flattening out, lower on the rope
I don't notice it. I haven't seen any change in my hitch performance from one area of the ripe to another so I'm thinking
that it doesn't affect it(much?), couldn't say for sure though.

With all that said, this video has me very excited!!!!! :thumbup::D

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Do4r6BNIA0k?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Steve,
I've been climbing on my HH for over 1 1/2 years and I have been searching for over a year to find that "perfect" hitch/hitch cord combination. :?
Seems like I'll get something that works good/great and after "a while"(sometimes just during that climb, sometimes after several climbs)it will
start getting "sticky". I need to have something that releases and tends easily 'cause I think I'm starting to get tendinitis in my forearms.
That's one of the reasons I'm using the RopeWrench more, much easier to tend......
I don't think I've ever had my dogbone get stuck like you're describing, do you happen to have a picture?

Heading out soon to prune a couple of branches off an English Oak so I'll see how it performs. I did remember shortening the hitch to reduce the amount of sit back so maybe that was causing the dog bone to rotate and get stuck on the ascent. Will get a picture if it happens again today.

The Assaultline is pretty stiff once loaded so didn't notice any flattening of the rope either.

Randy. Im trying not to read to far into it. But when the line flattens out most of the friction is on the outside of the flattened rope. Meaning its not symmetrical around the entire rope. Does that make sense. ? I would like to try the hh on some 7/16 rope like pi or blaze. With 10mm hitch chord. Imo I think 8mm is to small . I used a schwabisch on mine when I had it took alot of the jump out of it . For me anyway.

At some point, someone has a bit of an issue with the carabiner that was sorted out with a little polishing on the slot.

Check your dog bone slot for any super small imperfections.

My hitch hiker has been Disco all the way, except after retying once where I had my valdotain crossover on the wrong side.

Recently, I changed over to use some longer 1/2" rope, xtc, . Still Disco.

Randy, the hitch isn't the cause of the tendonitis. I've done solo work and crew work. It's a lot more cut and throw without a ropeman. Also, more reclimbing, and certainly brush. A wraptor allows easy up after frequent trips down. A consideration with the tendonitis for sure, before tendonitis cuts into your to money making tool purchasing. For real. A lot more financially accessible that a mini, and 20 pounds. Might be a demo unit... Pm Paul. Ruining your body is not a money maker.

How many rw user's we have on here. I would like to hear more bout the rw and there setups. Is there a way to get a rw /hitch setup compact .as n not much more than the hh.?

Nhlocal that mechanical hitch looks awsome
I to am excited I'm guessing he made that?
I know thats not u in the video
I seen a lot of your videos on line
Good stuff I'm a fan:thumbup:

Sawman. I think that guy is a mech eng of sorts. He also has something I think its call a bull dog bone or something. Kinda is a uni n a rw all in one. But when he is showing them on vid he's never 100ft in the air testing or showing them. Lol.

Randy, the hitch isn't the cause of the tendonitis. I've done solo work and crew work. It's a lot more cut and throw without a ropeman. Also, more reclimbing, and certainly brush. A wraptor allows easy up after frequent trips down. A consideration with the tendonitis for sure, before tendonitis cuts into your to money making tool purchasing. For real. A lot more financially accessible that a mini, and 20 pounds. Might be a demo unit... Pm Paul. Ruining your body is not a money maker.

Sean,
I know the hitch isn't causing it. Working in a machine shop for 30 years with "repetitive motion" has everything to do with it.
What I'm noticing is tending a hitch will aggravate it. Easier tending equals less/no pain/discomfort. With all the "updates" I'm
making to my HH it's getting close to tending as easy as my RW, but I haven't been able to match it.....yet. I've got something
I'm working on and I'm confident I can get it, it's just going to take some time. ;)

Randy. Im trying not to read to far into it. But when the line flattens out most of the friction is on the outside of the flattened rope. Meaning its not symmetrical around the entire rope. Does that make sense. ? I would like to try the hh on some 7/16 rope like pi or blaze. With 10mm hitch chord. Imo I think 8mm is to small . I used a schwabisch on mine when I had it took alot of the jump out of it . For me anyway.

Sawman. I think that guy is a mech eng of sorts. He also has something I think its call a bull dog bone or something. Kinda is a uni n a rw all in one. But when he is showing them on vid he's never 100ft in the air testing or showing them. Lol.

Charles,
I've had better performance with 10mm cord pretty much all the way around with my weight and rope that I'm using.
And like I said on the rope flattening out, I haven't noticed much/any difference in hitch performance when it slides from
the "flat" part of the rope to the "round" part of the rope, but I would have to pay close attention to that in particular during
a climb to know for sure.

I would like to see him using that "bull dog bone" up in a tree to see how it performs.

Nhlocal that mechanical hitch looks awsome
I to am excited I'm guessing he made that?
I know thats not u in the video
I seen a lot of your videos on line
Good stuff I'm a fan:thumbup:

Thanks.
Welcome to the TreeHouse sawman. :D
No, that's not me in the video. Here's another "device" he has.....
Compact Bulldog Bone

That is a very slick device. Looks like too many little parts to get snagged fighting through a dense tree, for me. I never expected to trust the zig zag 1 or 2. I am wary of mechanical hitches in tree work.

Hh and we are pretty unbreakable from the looks. If a rope wrench were to break/ pin falls out, no problem.

Fwiw, I bend my rope / cord into a tight U-shape above the hh, where the hitch cord is wrapped to snug the cord as tight as I can, then tie dress and set my hitch cord in order to get it Tight. Works for me.

I'm interested to try something better, too.

Back