Any Rope Wrench or Hitch Hiker users here?

Oh, I see, I thought you were talking about a spliced eye. My mind was still in another thread. :|:

If you milk the cover down towards that end it should suck the core back in. You can stitch the ends to prevent this from happening again.

Mine did the same thing from new...milk it down and retape, like said above a stitch or two won't hurt either.

Same for me, I just milked the cover back down and re-taped. Didn't think about stitching at the time, but that will cure it for sure. ;)

Snow and cold on the HH

So I'm shoveling off a roof yesterday and today. Ran my 1/2" ArborPlex over the ridge and anchored both ends to trees. Put my Petzl mini rope grab on it and ran my 7/16 Kernmantel from it to my HH. Went up a ladder to the eave keeping the slack out and bringing the rope grab ahead and the slack out of the hh.
6/12 slope roof with some ice damming and crotch deep packed snow.
So I get to the eave and go up the roof. Get to the peak and put an Ocean e2e on the AP with a prussik hitch with a Pirate and move the Kern to it. The Arbor Plex is at a 90° angle to the ridge. .
With the prussic hitch at the peak I can work either side of the roof with the same hitch placement. The roof is metal and the snow is packed powder so no rope, no staying on the roof . 17 feet eave height.
So yesterday I spent 3 hours up there and got 2/3 RSS of 1 side cleaned off. Temp was 5 - 10 below. Coming down at dark the HH BeeLine wasn't automatically grabbing. I had to set/lift the wraps then it grabbed good. The cause was frozen snow inundating it.

The reason I bring it upis just to put the info out there. I'm using the HH because of famialarity , security and ease of use. . To move around the roof I had to do plenty of crawling/ swimming/ knee walking in the snow and where the snow is loose powder up by the ridge/peak its impossible to even knee crawl up to the peak. .
I'm glad I have the XL Cougar as it has plenty of adjustment to fit over my cold weather clothes.

I can assure you that I have never and hope to never conduct such tests on the HH. Thanks for the info. and now I will put that on my list of things not to try..:lol:

I would imagine any hitch packed with snow/ ice would probably fail to grab. Im assuming the level of snow packing could not feasibly be experienced in a tree??

I can assure you that I have never and hope to never conduct such tests on the HH. Thanks for the info. and now I will put that on my list of things not to try..:lol:

I would imagine any hitch packed with snow/ ice would probably fail to grab. Im assuming the level of snow packing could not feasibly be experienced in a tree??

Paul I have been using mine the past 3 weeks, after the ice storm hit here, tons of ice up in the trees, no issues while it was snowing or ice getting allover my ropes and hitchiker! Love the HH!

Wow theres some tough tree guys out there, Im NOT one of them!! If theres snow and ice in the tree Im home reading a good book!!

Glad you like the HH, thats what I really like about making stuff is getting good feedback from real users.

Not that it hadn't before. But my Hitch Hiker paid for itself in full this afternoon. It has warmed up to around +35 and the snow on that roof was very different today than yesterday. . Was standing partway into about an 18' wide section when it avalanced off the roof all at once. Zoom. Every part of my lifeline system worked great including the BeeLine on 7/16 Kern one minute I was making my way across the next instant I went for a short sail.
Thanks for making such a trust worthy piece of gear!!

I can't imagine how someone could work a roof from a chicken ladder.
I didn't think I would be using my climbing gear until the trees budded out. Oh well with the unemployment run out I'm glad to get some work.

When it wasn't grabbing instantly on the first day was due to the cold. There was enough water that got into the lines over the afternoon that when I started down off the roof at dark the wraps didn't want to elongate and grab as they normally do. It was 5-10 below. The bee line and the Kern were ice glazed. But with just a little lift on the wraps it worked great. Holding most of my weight on srt.

I've had a similar experience when shoveling roofs, although I wasn't using the HH at the time. Due to the Blake's hitch slipping when packed full of snow I decided to be smart and use a Cinch instead. That worked fine during the middle part of the day because temps were above freezing. However, that made for some very wet ropes and once the sun went behind the mountain everything froze up solid in just a few minutes.. Halfway down a steep and very wide roof I discovered that a Cinch will not budge on a frozen rope.

THIS!!!

Done it...don't like it atall! It helps to have a feather in your hat...

Attachments

• dulfersitz.jpg
    dulfersitz.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 82
THIS!!!

attachment.php

Done it...don't like it atall! It helps to have a feather in your hat...

Yep ... done that, too ... That's how it was done when I started ... think I still have the scars, but the feather is gone ... :lol:

AVATAR!! I haven't changed mine in at least five years. This will do until I get a picture of BOTH grandsons and me.

Pantin? - I doubt it. Buckles on boots (& shoes) used to be a 'thing' back then - fashion mostly. I seem to remember having some boots with buckles when I was a kid.

Back