Any Rope Wrench or Hitch Hiker users here?

Just got a HH this weekend! I've been using it with my HAAS and a right foot ascender. Beer-knotted some webbing into a 'neck sling' to attach to the ring on my bridge to advance it. Awesome rope walking! I'll try and get some pictures while we're between polar vortexes. . . 8)

It seriously is easier than climbing a ladder.

Have a great weekend everyone.

~Sam

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Has anyone used the older style Petzl Basic with Vortex? I was working on my rope walker set up today with some bunjee and was having trouble advancing. It seems likely the knots were getting in the way of the rope advancing so I took it apart and I am gonna try webbing to give the rope more room. Man I want to be able to walk up this rope like I hear most of you here have been doing:?

Grendal, try a neck-elastic cord loop.

Stephen, by where the cross-over is located, do you mean how tight it is/ how much slack in the cord (tighter is crossing over closer to HH)?

I'm running XTC fire in a petzl basic...bit of a squeeze but it works. I have a clip at the top for my bungee and yes, sometimes I have to really work the rope in behind it before I can get on with the 'walk up'.
It's ok for now but I'm going for a slightly thinner rope next.

I use a loop runner with a clip around my chest to self tend the HH going up, I didn't like the feel of anything around my neck or over my shoulder. It stays there all day hardly notice it at all.

When first tying the beeline, really pull through almost as much slack as you can through the dogbone to tie the fisherman's...your weight will work it down and the tension should be about right. I was tying the fisherman's too slack to start and once I put weight on the system it stretched out too far, the wraps were then too loose to reliably grab during work.
I pull through so much to start now the rope gets a bend...then once the fisherman's is tied I work the wraps and braids down, sit in my harness and it sets just right...its also easy to then loosen the fisherman's a tad if it is too tight (easier to loosen than tighten!)

I'm using the "old" Petzl Basic as my knee ascender with Samson Arbormaster 16 strand. It runs through with no
trouble at all(when I have everything hooked up the way it's supposed to be:|:). I recently made myself a LOTS
strap. I've been able to try it out a few times and it's very comfortable, and adjustable. But I will agree with you
Bermy, when I used the loop runner I left it on and could forget about it. With the LOTS I will unhook it when I reach
my work position and hang it on my saddle. When I need it again(if I work down the rope and need to ascend again) I
have to hook it back up. I'll need to use it some more to be able to decide which way works best for me. :)

Thanks for responding I was getting frustated yesterday before dark. Rained all day today with rope in the tree :( I tried a 48" sling which was a little long considering how my Basic was a bit high above my knee. I have been inside all day trying to assemble a home made HAAS which I thought I had it figured out then realized I did not :D I put new Beeline on because I was struggling with tending the HH as well. Everytime I think I got it and it is working great it starts acting up? How many wraps are you using? Thanks!

I pulled this picture off some video I took New Year's Day, quality isn't great but you get a good look at what I'm using right now.
The Beeline is good, but I did notice a bit better performance for me(215lbs)with HRC cord, it will be different for everyone.....
Oh, and I'm using 7 wraps.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Snapshot 29 (1-1-2014 8-13 PM).png
    Snapshot 29 (1-1-2014 8-13 PM).png
    380.9 KB · Views: 70
I am wishing I would have got that HRC. I have been using 6 wraps. I saw a couple of your vids NH there good. You using the Basic and Revolver together right?

I'm using 5 wraps one braid but I weigh as much as a cup of spit.
I like my chest tether because it helps to keep me upright...I can put a little weight on it, feels more secure.

I am using a homemade HAAS, all it is, is a length of bungee cord with two clips, one end clips to the top of the basic, then it threads through a small maillon on my harness waist belt, then down to my foot pantin and clips to a little cord loop I put on it. It took a few climbs to get the length of the bungee and I probably still don't have it perfect but it works fine. I probably have a 10" step or so. I don't race up but it sure beats body thrusting for 50' or more!

Once I'm up I take off the basic, unclip the footloop and bungee, and put them all in a bag on my belt. I leave the pantin on, and for a short 'up' just clip that on and attach the chest tether again and 'sit/stand' to go up a bit. That took a while to figure out, but its easy now...again a different movement and muscle group than DdRT, I ound initially that I was using way too much energy and trying to 'mucle' it with my upper body instead of being efficient and utilizing the pantin for the 'stand' then sit back into the HH, and repeat.

I keep the revolver for branch walks, take my foot loop off the basic and clip on the revolver.

I am wishing I would have got that HRC. I have been using 6 wraps. I saw a couple of your vids NH there good. You using the Basic and Revolver together right?

Yes, the revolver has been part of my climbing system.
A great piece of gear to have if you'll be needing a 3:1 MA (mechanical advantage) for positioning or limb walking. :thumbup:

Bermy,
you're absolutely right on the chest harness/loop runner keeping you upright, that's one of the biggest benefits(for me). ;)

.....Randy

Bermy, sounds like my setup with the HH is pretty much exactly the same as yours. As far as the chest harness goes, if I'm only going to do one major ascent in a tree then I'll just use my LOTS, but if there's going to be a fair bit of up and down the webbing sling chest harness comes out. And like you said I hardly notice it's there. I tied up a piece of thin spectra webbing to get just the right length so that the webbing sits tight to my chest.

Also, if anyone is having trouble getting the tension right on their hitch try and follow Bermy's advice there too. Tie that sucker as tight as you can. Once you put weight on it it'll stretch out. Usually, that's just right for me, and if I need to loosen it a wee bit it's easily done.

I don't know if this good practice or not, but I hardly ever take the HH off the rope. Once I get that hitch just right I don't want to mess around with tying it again, and I like to just pull my rope out of the bag and have my climbing system already set up and ready to go.

I am gonna start leaving mine on too. I reread this whole thread today! Paul does the same and a few others as well. Might be a good idea to rotate the cord IDK? Thinking out loud:?

Usually when my ropes/cord get really grimy my hitch will get sticky/grabby and I'll pull 'em apart and wash 'em.
And pretty much every time I take down Pines I'll have to wash my climb ropes and cord(if I'm able to)to get the
pitch out or my hitch cord gets REAL grabby..... :banghead:

My HH comes off at the end of the day...I still switch to DdRT on some trees and will use my HC setup...I guess I feel bad about leaving such a good friend stuffed in a pocket of the rope bag.
The HC was a game changer for me switching from blakes 'pull, throw, hump' to 'pull, pull, pull, slack, slack, slack' and one handed branch walking, I feel a bit guilty, like the three holes are little sad eyes gazing at me...:/:
I put them in the bag together and let them have a chat overnight...:|: Ok, heatwave has hit Tassie, it's 95* today, effin' HOT!

My HH comes off at the end of the day...I still switch to DdRT on some trees and will use my HC setup...I guess I feel bad about leaving such a good friend stuffed in a pocket of the rope bag.
The HC was a game changer for me switching from blakes 'pull, throw, hump' to 'pull, pull, pull, slack, slack, slack' and one handed branch walking, I feel a bit guilty, like the three holes are little sad eyes gazing at me...:/:

I totally get this... I almost feel guilty when I switch my HH over to Ddrt. Feels like I moved away from a close friend ........
But then, I get to work.. :lol:

The core on my beeline has milked out about 2+ inches on one end is that common? It's brand new and did this right off the bat after tying the hitch a few times. The other end is taped off but it feels like the core is still there.

Oh, I see, I thought you were talking about a spliced eye. My mind was still in another thread. :|:

If you milk the cover down towards that end it should suck the core back in. You can stitch the ends to prevent this from happening again.

Mine did the same thing from new...milk it down and retape, like said above a stitch or two won't hurt either.

Back