Any Rope Wrench or Hitch Hiker users here?

Just a note.. I asked Rob yesterday how he thought my performance was going since I started using the HH.
The tree we finished out yesterday was started on Ddrt and finished SRT save the exit before I fell the spar. I have worked 6 trees total with it.
He pretty much told me it was about the same and in some cases better. He was surprised in that I am still in a learning curve..... So my performance did not fall off.
Of course as Burnam put it, I am no stranger to SRT. Would not be the same if I had not previously used SRT, that I am certain.

Stephen, I believe the HH is a very easy tool to become comfortable with, not just for people who are already comfortable with SRT. I think as you can use it in a Ddrt role at first till you become familiar with it can really help newbies get used to the tool first and ease their transition into SRT. Once they do start to venture onto one line they have the advantage of the HH responding just like it does on Ddrt. Obviously the majority of climbers are already familiar with trusting hitches so that makes it easier too....

I try not to get to much into these threads as I dont want to feel like Im blowing my own horn.

I love my HH for all those reasons Paul. Its to the point where I kinda just consider it my 'hitch' and dont really differentiate between SRT or DRT, its all rope climbing and the HH is the perfect rope tool.

I left mine at home in my tree today as I have been teaching someone to climb boy how missed it on a hackberry removal pulling slack on some up and down

Previous to using the HH the only “SRT” experience I’ve had was on the rare occasion when I was leaving a pull line in a spar and didn’t have a limb to use Ddrt from. Choked my line off with a Running Bowline and jerked an my hitch till I got to the ground.

When I started using the HH Ddrt it felt smooth and controllable, switching to SRT felt seamless accept that I needed to calm my mind at times by looking back over to where my rope was anchored and rethinking how come I only had one rope in my hand.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just ordered DMM bat plate for my rope bridge and CT carabiner for my HH. I had been using an ISC rigging biner since I got the HH from Charles. He kept his steel biner. Can't wait to make some more climbs with it. Looking forward to what Paul may have up his sleeve for the future! Also Kevin's Rope Runner looks really nice too. What a great time to be in this industry with all the options we have now. I will not miss the tautline hitch that's for sure.

Previous to using the HH the only “SRT” experience I’ve had was on the rare occasion when I was leaving a pull line in a spar and didn’t have a limb to use Ddrt from. Choked my line off with a Running Bowline and jerked an my hitch till I got to the ground..
well that sounds like a horrible way to get down. you could have at least used a munter hitch.

Nice being able to just drop right down into your work from somewhere else .........

View attachment 50897View attachment 50898

This is how I had mine rigged except with a Rock O on my bridge.
Then I got a small swivel and some small rings. . I slid the swivel and a small ring on my bridge at the same time when I had it apart. I'm glad I did. I tried the swivel first and Did Not like it but the ring works Great and the steel biner stays oriented very well

43 below this morning lads. So my climbing gear is all safe and sound in its tote in the arctic entry. Ropes are in their bags in the loft of the cabin. . I talked to a lineman this morning that is climbing and inspecting the highline towers today. . . Yuk, no thank you.

43 below this morning lads. So my climbing gear is all safe and sound in its tote in the arctic entry. Ropes are in their bags in the loft of the cabin. . I talked to a lineman this morning that is climbing and inspecting the highline towers today. . . Yuk, no thank you.

Wow 43 below! That is freakin cold man! The closest experience I have to feeling that temp was while working in a cold storage. Temp was usually right below zero and had a blast freeze area which was suppose to be 20 below but didn't stay that cold. Cold logging fo sho!

This is how I had mine rigged except with a Rock O on my bridge.
Then I got a small swivel and some small rings. . I slid the swivel and a small ring on my bridge at the same time when I had it apart. I'm glad I did. I tried the swivel first and Did Not like it but the ring works Great and the steel biner stays oriented very well

Maybe my ring is too small. Every time I would switch to Drt with my HH it would be hard to descend because the 2nd biner was so tight against the HH biner. If that makes sense.

The way I did it was tie a bowline with a keeper to my bridge then I just had the steel biner in the ring. Sometimes I would have the end anchor hitched to a biner and clip that to the bridge tho. . I dunno that's just how I did it, but it workspretty good.

Thank you all for this thread. I have been struggling in my decision to get a HH or RW. Even with Nick's recommendation for the HH, i was still undecided when i talked to the guy who i learned from, who swears by RW. But after reading all the comments hear i was able to make my decision. HH it is. I am 6'2" and 240 lbs, i am ordering the HH with the beeline but is there an issue? I have been climbing DdRT and a beeline vt hitch, no issues. I am assuming i should have no issues on SRT? I will be going low and slow to test things out but i would hate to discover the beeline to not be enough and then wait for another, ah hell i'll just order an oceans as well, or other recommendations.

What line do you climb on? On imori I like HRC or 8mm armor pruss. 6 wraps for me and I'm about 210. I'd like to try some 10mm AP too.

The supplied Bline will work well for you to get familiar with the HH, it has a very consistent grab and releases pretty well. I have tried pretty much every cordage out there and still climb on the B line. It kinda baffles me that nobody else seems to like it that much:?

Beeline, as Paul provides, works well with most lines and should work fine for you. Often it is more dialling it in with number of wraps and where you run the crossover....

At 255 lbs plus all my gear and a saw on I had No problem controlling my decent srt on Samson 7/16 Kernmantel. . Or half inch ArborPlex. . . Making a short adjustment in position was easy also.

Thanks, that what i was looking for in an answer!, Someone who has tried them all. Like i said, my 8mm B works great on vt drt so figured it should work just as well on srt, although i may try the 10mm instead of 8mm.
The supplied Bline will work well for you to get familiar with the HH, it has a very consistent grab and releases pretty well. I have tried pretty much every cordage out there and still climb on the B line. It kinda baffles me that nobody else seems to like it that much:?

Back