Any interest in the new Stihl MS150

Roger B seems to love those 2139s modded. Some saw shop that he knows back east will sell them cheaper than anywhere else. PM him for details. Where is that guy, anyway? Hopefully, out enjoying something like bird watching and photographing. That one bird he had back a couple years ago was the cutest on the crew by far, and as often happens, works as hard as the guys while smaller in stature.

Wonder how the dealers would respond if you went in there and said, "I want a saw I can easily one hand"? Selling you one might be a conflict of interest.

Some of those itty little saws will surprise you for sure .If I recall Roger B had some little saw that I think EHP piped for him which would about wake the dead with a tuned pipe .

I'd well imagine that would be great to wake up the entire neighborhood about 7 am some Saturday morning .I'd also imagine that would have made RB about as popular as a turd in a punch bowl .

B, its the only J-Red I own. Its been an excellent tool. Does not have the chain speed of the 200t, but the torque is there. My 2139 has been in the tree full time for 2 years now and has not acted up once. It has an entirely different balance then a 200t. Its compact in size. I think I paid $390 out the door for it and got a one or two year warranty. Because 200t's are gone, and 201's suck, its time to explore the possibilities. I don't go for a certain brand of saw. I go for certain models. I have stihls, husqvarnas, and one lonely j-red.

I hear the 201's are good when hopped up. Not loud, but good.
I'll probably try a 2139 next. Roger has been into them for years, pre201.
I used his one day, but was focused on the huge task at hand, and had hardly run 200s at that point.

If you want light, cheap and still have power the Solo 637 is actually good....but even with 40ccs it isn't a 200T in performance. Any reports on the Husky 345? at $320 it looks tempting. Also how many have actually run the 201? My saw guy says it is good as the 200......but he is a mechanic not a cutter.

The little Stihl ain't made it here yet........ ;)

I will be very interested in what you think of the little 150 when you get it. The local Stihl rep here gave me one two weeks ago to try and I have to say, I really like it. It has great balance and is unbelievably light. For trimming it is by far the best and most precise gas saw I have ever used. The tiny 1/4" pitch chain cuts like a laser and allows smooth, one handed tip cuts with no chatter, faster and better than a handsaw. Not that I EVER use it one handed. ;)

I liked it so much, I did buy it. I do a LOT of trimming.

David

Sounds like something I would love for pruning... I hate even having the 200T in the tree on a prune most the time.
More oft' than not, I will leave it on the ground until I need to cut 3+ " or if there is a lot of dead wood. Then I'll have the groundie send it up. When I am trying to really get into tops and out onto tips... I dislike even having a saw on me.

Yeah, nothing wrong with the quarter pitch carving chain for light saws used in tree work (no safety ramps). Zenoah has used it for years on their small models. Kind of expensive and not all that many places carry it. The 1/4" pitch allows small diameter tapered tip bars which is kind of nice too for whipping in and out of branch unions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
B, its the only J-Red I own. Its been an excellent tool. Does not have the chain speed of the 200t, but the torque is there. My 2139 has been in the tree full time for 2 years now and has not acted up once. It has an entirely different balance then a 200t. Its compact in size. I think I paid $390 out the door for it and got a one or two year warranty. Because 200t's are gone, and 201's suck, its time to explore the possibilities. I don't go for a certain brand of saw. I go for certain models. I have stihls, husqvarnas, and one lonely j-red.

I can make the 201s perform very well.....

I will be very interested in what you think of the little 150 when you get it. The local Stihl rep here gave me one two weeks ago to try and I have to say, I really like it. It has great balance and is unbelievably light. For trimming it is by far the best and most precise gas saw I have ever used. The tiny 1/4" pitch chain cuts like a laser and allows smooth, one handed tip cuts with no chatter, faster and better than a handsaw. Not that I EVER use it one handed. ;)

I liked it so much, I did buy it. I do a LOT of trimming.

David

I'm at the beach now......I sure hope the 150 is there when I get back home.

Again I don't use a chainsaw to make a living but I have operated a 201 .It does okay but it's not a 200 by any stretch of the imagination .Let me just say it works well but not the great saw some proclaim .

On that though since I finally got the super bee running correctly I had hoped to see a souped 201T today at Ohio Greggs GTG .It didn't happen .I kinda feel if you are going play it fair with a souped 201T then the 200T ought to have some moxie too to make it a good test .

What am I doing wrong on these videos?

You're copying the wrong code. First, click 'share,' then click 'embed' and copy THAT code.

Easypeasyjapaneesy.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9zf_Bzn33MM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Your saws look great, don't mess up your fingers with the internet stuff.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/no00oHll06w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If you want light, cheap and still have power the Solo 637 is actually good....but even with 40ccs it isn't a 200T in performance. Any reports on the Husky 345? at $320 it looks tempting. Also how many have actually run the 201? My saw guy says it is good as the 200......but he is a mechanic not a cutter.

Yes, Ive run 201's. They're pieces of shit.

There have been a number of saws that were more or less officially declared pos, but once reworked they become very good to excellent saws. Husky 359 was another. Few saws out of the gate fulfill their maximum potential, being mass production items.

I get the fact that you can make them run good. That's dandy. But for me, I want to take a saw out of the box and get to work. To spend 600 bucks on a climbing saw, then pay shipping both ways, then mod costs, just to get a good running saw, is a joke. I think saw modding is great, don't get me wrong. But if I have to send a new saw away just to get it to perform well, then I don't want it. My 2139 isn't a mind blowing saw. But Im $400 bucks deep into it and for that $400 I think it makes great power.

Back