Any electric gate opinions?

Benjo75

Treehouser
I've been having an abnormal amount of vehicles driving up the 1/2 mile gravel private drive to my house lately. My parents live another 1/2 mile past me. It's a dead end. I have a gate but usually leave it open since I'm in and out a lot with equipment and hauling brush home. I have a sawmill and a few regular customers who drop off logs and pickup lumber. I'm bordered on the backside by thousands of acres of timberland. I hate to have to open and close a gate all day. Checked at Tractor Supply. About $1,000 for the arm, solar panel, battery and a few remotes. I have no trespassing signs and purple paint. Is a solar arm the best way to go?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The remotes are $39 each. I would have to have at least 5. Then it would always be in the other truck. I thought about buying all the gear to do it and having everyone else buy their own remotes.

Sounds economical to me for the issue at hand

I have the Mighty Mule and it’s been great for 25 years. Not solar, ran 110 800’ to it.Had to replace it about 15 years ago because of a lightning strike. Here the law states that any road open to the public for 5 years becomes a public right of way. The public road ends at my gate. I have just a manual gate at the other right of way which I might use 2 or 3 times a year.

I trust you have a sign thereabouts that say We Don't Call 911

If there are gates, I love them to be electric.

Instead of a slew of remotes you can have a keypad. Everyone you want to has the code, if that gets abused by someone you can change the code and give it out again to one less person. (Easy to give the code to service personnel that will be coming in a time or two.)

One thousand acre ranch I go to has a keypad to get in and a keypad to get out whereas most places would have a buried wire to automatically open the gate for exit.

Those buried wires can be triggered by throwing a hunk of steel at them. But really electric gates are not secure they can be easily opened.
A grower in my area said that if you have two gates, it becomes a much harder legal hassle for the police to enter on a raid.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I know it won't keep everyone out. But when they're caught inside the gate, signs and purple paint, prosecuting them and having their vehicle towed will be much simpler. When I say they I mean the people who are nosing around with no explanation of why they are here and no business here. The sheriff said not to hold them if they're trespassing. He didn't say anything about parking the bucket truck crossways in the road and taking the key out.

Gates will keep the honest people out, as the saying goes

Back