346XP Year 2011. .325 or 3/8 on 18" bar?? Does this year have the EPA muffler?

Johnny

TreeHouser
I' m hoping to find out if anyone has a supported opinion on whether to run the .325 chain or 3/8 on an 18" bar.
I have a year 2011 346XP and would like to be able to run similar equipment (bars and chains) on several of my saws. However ,I'm not sure if it would compromise performance if I changed it to 3/8. And would I be better to run a 7 or 8 sprocket.Which configuration would increase speed vs. torque. I'm guessing if I went to 3/8, then I'd be better to run an 8 sprocket to,(for lack of a better term)gear down,to compensate for the 3/8 chain vs. the .325 that it runs w/ the 7tooth sprocket. Any help is hugely appreciated!
Also wondering if I would benefit by installing the Non-EPA muffler?
Can anyone tell me the accurate specs of this saw? hp? weight? It seems there are some variations even within the 50cc model. Thx Again!! Johnny

While I sympathize with wanting to minimize the number of chain sizes and files the 346 is a saw perfectly matched to .325. 3/ths low profile isn't strong enough to hold up well and isn't as aggressive either and 3/8ths standard will have to cut a wider kerf thus hurting performance a little. FYI 7 tooth 3/8ths is approx. same diameter as an 8 tooth .325 sprocket. The 346 is pretty well set up stock(which I believe means a 7 tooth .325).

Hi Johnny,
I don't think increasing the chain speed (less torque) with an 8 tooth sprocket is the direction you want to go with a 346xp.
I run 7 tooth .325 on mine. With a sharp chain it cuts plenty fine.

My two cents ... on my mid size and small saws , to get more performance I run shorter bars..an easier pull for the little motor

My 346 has an 18" bar. Back when it was stock, I converted it to run 3/8" .050 semi-chisel, keeping the stock sprocket size and it cut good.

Now it's ported and muffler modded and its a little beast.

Oh, and the non-cat muffler will make a noticeable difference in power, throttle response, etc. IIRC the cat ones had a green fuel cap and the non-cat had both gray caps.

Back