Yosemite Again

Chriiiiiiiiist, that is some exposure in your pic, Bowlegged

All I know for sure is the spire and the entire rock face is the east side of Bridal Falls creek valley. About 2500 feet above the Yosemite valley floor. Course the peaks are much higher than that.

The spire is Higher Cathedral Spire and the large rock in the front right is Middle Cathedral Rock and the one up and left of it is Higher Cathedral Rock. Me and my brother had an epic adventure on the face of Higher Cathedral Rock once, we went up with not enough water trying to do the whole thing in a half day and we ended up topping out at like 4 am with no water or food for 9 hours. it was totally brutal. But it sure taught us not to underestimate the challenge of a climb.

Hanging a shingle is about as good as it gets in Mariposa. Start your own. Oakhurst hires some from time to time like at Fisks. Next town over and I would not want my rep to be attached to an outfit like that.
ACRT hires up here as does Trees Inc and Utility Tree Service.
9 years here and still only 60 percent tree work. Still trying to make it fly full time.
We do a lot of ladder fuel reduction work to keep the lights on.

my fantasy right now is to work 3 days a week just enough to pay rent and food and just climb in yosemite the rest of the time

You might consider a job up in the park then.
http://www.nps.gov/yose/parkmgmt/jobs.htm
Or possibly one of the counties... Madera or Mariposa.
Line clearance companies I already gave you.
High dollar work is more in Bass Lake or near the park. Oakhurst. I do some over there and make better money when I do. Down side is the 45 min each way travel over hills eats fuel. Fisk is out of Oakhurst. Most the local guys up here are small time and family run. Why you usually have to go after the larger companies or hang a shingle. Not hard to get started with simple card or flyer ads on community bulletin boards and such. Free advertising on line can be had.
Example.. one of the local guys here almost stays as busy as I do with a 3 man crew (hubby, wife, and I believe a brother in law) a bucket truck and C&D. He struggles and charges pretty damn reasonable approx 125-150 per hour.
I charge almost as much for three of us and a chipper with mini and stay a tad busier, but not by much.. He has higher over head though with that truck of his. Struggles some.
Not many crane options is a consideration.
Gaff less pruning is a new idea. Sell your rep... Smart money will buy rep.

Word to the wise, whispered in your ear BLgoat, from this oldtimer. Stephen is sharing YEARS of experience in the precise geographic you are interested in. That is generous beyond what any newbie to a market might expect. Of course he is, and should be, confident in his place in that market...but you ought to understand just how kind he is being.

An observation, nothing more.

Curservoyce has my respect for that generousity of spirit.

I can only tell you the truth. It is always up to the individual to make a success of it. ;)
Success meaning you can keep clothes on the backs of children, lights on and food on the table. Oh.. and of course, equipment running.. ;)

One of the new guys here I invited is mikethemountain. He has worked up here before and is from here. He lives and works in Humboldt. He came up this week and asked if I could find some work for him. I had a customer that needed trees down that I won't be able to get to for a couple months. Mike has a 4 man crew and chipper that would make short work of them ... I referred him. Same customer that Stehanson did some work for.
Hopefully Mike and I will get to have a beer or coffee or Burnam's favourite drink in passing this visit. He also happens to be married to the granddaughter to one of my clients :) Small world ;)
Thanks for the kind works Burnam my friend. I 'spect you would do the same for someone :)

Move to bishop, climb in the sierras ........the valley has turned into walleys world

Word to the wise, whispered in your ear BLgoat, from this oldtimer. Stephen is sharing YEARS of experience in the precise geographic you are interested in. That is generous beyond what any newbie to a market might expect. Of course he is, and should be, confident in his place in that market...but you ought to understand just how kind he is being.

An observation, nothing more.

Curservoyce has my respect for that generousity of spirit.

Pretty incredible how generous people can be. Thanks Stephen, you can definitely call in a six pack from me if I move up there.

Move to bishop, climb in the sierras ........the valley has turned into walleys world

That's another one of my mega dreams! Bishop is where I see myself getting old and raising kids, getting land and then some. So far I haven't gotten anyresponses from the tree services there. Do you have some beta for me nobivy?

my fantasy right now is to work 3 days a week just enough to pay rent and food and just climb in yosemite the rest of the time

That would be livin da life

Success meaning you can keep clothes on the backs of children, lights on and food on the table. Oh.. and of course, equipment running.. ;)

Well said, Stephen

Pretty incredible how generous people can be.

Yeah that is good stuff, for sure.

Back