Yard of chip weight?

flushcut

TreeHouser
I was wondering if you guys knew what the average weight of a yard of chips is. I would guess somewhere around 3--500lbs. Any thoughts? I would like to finally build up the sides of my 450 dump higher so that's why I ask.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
5-600lbs Damn, I wish it were lighter. Oh well, that is a starting point, thanks!

I've always calculated at 550 pounds per yard, so I guess we're all on the same page.

I even don't know what a yard means, in real units:P
inch, foot, gallon, pound, miles, I can see pretty well, but for yard, I'm always lost.:whine:

oh ! that's better now.
Thank you Skwerl.

One thing about the Americans.
For a people who for many years were way ahead of the rest of us tecnologically, they sure measure the world and what is in it in a VERY oldfashioned way!

Yes but here's the kicker .Good old mother England gave us inchs ,feet and yards .Miles and ounces and pounds then traded horses in the middle of the stream so speak and went metric .Strange though because if you go to most Brit motorcycle forums they still use standard measurements of thousands of an inch instead of millimeters .Go figure that one .:?

12 can be divided more times, evenly than 10, makes much more sense for building and cutting:drink:

Oh I can remember a few conversions like 2.54 cm to the inch and 1000 cc's equal 61 cubic inchs .Else than that pretty much dumb about it .

12 can be divided more times, evenly than 10, makes much more sense for building and cutting:drink:
I agree with you in a mathematical sens for the base 12 system, but why the expression is so complex?
When I see some lengths like 5/16 9/32 or 17/64, I quickly get an headache. Not an easy way to think or count.
The decimal system is way more easier to figure.

I suppose its all in what you get used to. 9/32 and 17/64 is almost strictly drills or specialty stuff. For the most part I know what order things go in with out thinking about it. When they tried to put kilometers alongside miles on the highway signs, that just threw me for a loop

I do it the other way round.

I stay at a constant 80, since the speed on normal roads here is 80 km/h.

When pulled over I just use an atrocious Danish accent and explain to the nice officer that I was woolgathering a bit, and forgot about the mile/kilometer thing.

It has worked so far, but of course if I ever get caught passing a slew of cars going 60, it won't!

I originally learned English by reading Tolkien, so I sometimes use archaic phrases or words.

Trivia 101 reguarding "wool gathering " This is an expression that has been around for several centuries. As for its origin, it comes from the world of sheep farming. In the old days, when farmers allowed their sheep to graze, they always sent a couple of women or children along with the animals. When sheep grazed, sometimes tufts of wool got caught in the bushes and on the branches of trees. It was the job of the women/children to gather the wool and hand it over to the farmer. The original `wool gatherers' were actually gathering wool! Since the job of wool gathering didn't require much concentration, it was possible for the individual to let his mind wander — in other words, he could afford to daydream! Hence, the activity of `wool-gathering' became associated with daydreaming!

S. Upendran

From weight of chips to this.

We really are world class at derails here:D

On the other hand ,just how many people know what wool gathering is ? One thing that is certain ,a pint is a pound ,the world around .How many micro liters as compared to grams that is I have no idea .

Back