WTB 090

For you more than most I think Jay. I was happy to make a tack room floor. My wood skills are limited but still the same I find it very satisfying.

What kind of price range would you guys expect for an 090 in good condition? I know of one locally that is for sale with a price tag of $780 and it comes with a new 48" bar.

I could not magine running a cs mill. Looks tiring. I hire a mobile mill, ive sided my house with trees ive cur, and now working on the garage. It feels great to know the tree, and put it to use. The pine im using is the first trees i cut with my bucket truck. Ahh memories.

Wow that's a good price I see them on average go for 2g's +. Hell fred buy the bad boy and put it on Ebay.

In good condition, that seems like a winner price. Parts are pretty much still available, I think. Sprockets, probably not.

The saw is on craigslist. Peter, I would be happy to send the saw to you if I can get my hands on it. I sent an email to the seller and I will let you know what comes of it.

I tried a little bit of chainsaw milling using both a Mac 125 and that 2100 Homelite in my avatar .Both of them have oodles of power but in 18" oak I could only get about a foot a minute at best .The planks came out smoother than if they had been cut with a circular saw but it certainly was lot of work .

A linear foot or board foot? If you are talking linear foot in 18" oak, something wasn't right.

Might not be right to you but just ask anyone cutting dry red oak ripping 18" thick exactly how fast they go .FWIW another gent in upstate NY using a 797 Mac gets the same speed .A 797 and a 125 have about the same power .

Well here's a picture of it .The planks in the other pic are 4 by 12's 8 feet long but they were cut from an 18 inch log and squared on a table saw and weigh a freakin ton .

Attachments

• al's saws 097.jpg
    al's saws 097.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 41
  • Copy of al's saws 098.jpg
    Copy of al's saws 098.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 41
A foot a minute seems slow is all. High or low rpm saw? I don't have any knowledge of those older muscles saws. Although dry wood has a way of taking the wind out of ones sails.

A foot a minute seems slow is all. High or low rpm saw? I don't have any knowledge of those older muscles saws. Although dry wood has a way of taking the wind out of ones sails.

I wouldn't classify them as slow probabley around 10,000 WOT .Keep in mind though you set them up a tad rich when milling/ripping because 10 minutes or more depending can really heat them up .

Wiemie(Walter ) up in NY state made some long cuts that took 25 minutes with a 797 .The longest I ever heard of was in Oregon .

On a covered bridge restoration project Rich Dougan AKA "Sawking" cut spome huge timbers out of I thing douglas fir .The people who make the Alaska mill supplied the rig,Rich the saw which was a souped 090 .Those timbers were so long they had to gas the saw several time to just make one cut .I tried to find the vid of it but couldn't .

I'd have to look it up to be sure, but I think the 090G is geared down to 7000 rpms. Some slow muscle there.

Believe it or not when I looked up how to set the governer on an 090 G it says to crank it out to 10,000 WOT for the initial setting .As you say though I think they are set to run at less .Probabley why they last forever .

Oh I just remembered .Some years back at a GTG I ran one of Ken Dunns master pieces souped 090 .That thing had to be running at over 12 thou because it would really boogey .Fastest 090 I ever ran .

Fastest 090 I have seen to date being run by 70plus year old feller. I also seen the one Al is talking about that was woods ported.

A little off the subject but I've not heard how it's turned out for a few who were trying an 090 cylinder on a 3120 lower end .

Back