Fitchburg Chipper for sale

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Knives never serviced! How are the bearings? Has it ever had service preformed?
Hi Flushcut.
I'm sorry, but the only servicing that the previous owner mentioned was that, to his best recollection, the blades had never been serviced. Aside from that, he also told me that, while they were using it, the engine did get regular oil changes and tune ups.
One of the first things that I did before buying it was to put a socket wrench on the crankshaft pully to see if the engine bearings were seized up. They were not. The engine turned better than I expected it would given its age and the fact that it had sat pretty much abandoned for all those years while exposed to the elements. I then removed all the spark plugs and inserted a fiber optic camera in each cylinder to inspect the condition of each combustion chamber. I was rather surprised to see strong evidence of the original factory cross-hatch honing in every cylinder which indicated to me that the engine had not been run very much during its lifetime. The absence of any discernable piston ring ridge pretty much confirmed that condition as well. Also the engine produces 50 to 60 pounds of oil pressure, so I am reasonably certain that the piston rings have not collapsed. There is no oil in the cooling system, nor any coolant in the lubricating system.
As to the bearings on the cutter drum, all I can tell you is when I was using it I would run the engine up to about 2300 rpm, and I would run it like that on and off for several hours each day until I got tired of stuffing hundreds of these @!#%! tumbleweeds into it. So I am going to venture a guess that the drum bearings are still okay?

Funny how Bermy can always bring out the best in people.
Sorry for pissing on you John.
Had you started out with the story, I wouldn't have.
I'm sitting on a ship on the coast of Norway, stuck wirh a bunch of people, basically hating the whole World right now and it spilled over on you.

That chipper IS a dangerous piece of shit, though!
Quite alright Stig.
I had thought about posting all of that originally, but I didn't think anyone would want to read through it all.
I hope your trip to Norway turns out well for you.
We all have bad days every now and then.
Who knew that both of ours would coincide?
I guess I have a lot to learn about wood chippers.
John.

Its all good, thanks for the history of your chipper.
I guess some of our skepticism comes from the fact that many of us must abide by Work Safe and Health and Safety legislation, being businesses.
That means that any equipment must have minimum safety features in order to be legal.
Cool story of your one man tumbleweed eradication efforts.

Its all good, thanks for the history of your chipper.
I guess some of our skepticism comes from the fact that many of us must abide by Work Safe and Health and Safety legislation, being businesses.
That means that any equipment must have minimum safety features in order to be legal.
Cool story of your one man tumbleweed eradication efforts.
20230225_135052.jpg

Attachments

• 20230225_135102.jpg
    20230225_135102.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 6
  • 20230225_135016.jpg
    20230225_135016.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 6
  • 20230225_135118.jpg
    20230225_135118.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 5
  • 20230225_135133.jpg
    20230225_135133.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 6
  • 20230225_135122.jpg
    20230225_135122.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 6
  • 20230225_135013.jpg
    20230225_135013.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 6
Might start a grass fire. They're mobile by design. If one got away, it could be a bad day.
Absolutely correct, Sir!
This place is like a wind tunnel.
The wind out here is best described as being "relentlessly vicious".
Calm days are rather rare.
And I'd hate to be responsible for setting half the valley afire.
My neighbors might tend to get a bit angry if I were to start a fire that destroyed their homes.

I have a Fitchburg Chipper for sale.
It has a Ford Industrial V8 Engine, and a 15" drum. Runs great and works good but blades will need to be sharpened/adjusted.
New parts just installed are:
Radiator. Tires. Wheel bearings. Spark plugs. Belts and hoses. Points. Rotor. Cap.
Located near Rosamond California.
If interested, please call John at (661)220-1492. Thank you.
View attachment 130659View attachment 130655View attachment 130656View attachment 130657
I have a Fitchburg Chipper for sale.
It has a Ford Industrial V8 Engine, and a 15" drum. Runs great and works good but blades will need to be sharpened/adjusted.
New parts just installed are:
Radiator. Tires. Wheel bearings. Spark plugs. Belts and hoses. Points. Rotor. Cap.
Located near Rosamond California.
If interested, please call John at (661)220-1492. Thank you.
View attachment 130659View attachment 130655View attachment 130656View attachment 130657
This wood chipper is now sold as of 08/03/2023.
Thank you all for the helpful information you gave me regarding this machine.
It was very much appreciated.
John.