Wood Moving Equipment

• Thread starter TreeRhino
  • Start date
  • Replies 64
  • Views 9K
latest and greatest,

Gehl is going to start releasing these in the US market this Jan ~ we think.
They are made in Wisconsin, made in USA is good. They have been selling them in Europe

http://www.gehl.de/products/prodarticulate.html

We just got the small 140 prototype to check out this Monday. This one is comparable to the boxer 726 in price and HP. But thats where the comparison ends. the Gehl 140 axels oscillate (much more stable), lifts higher, weighs almost twice as much (which means much beefier components and Steel framing. seeing them side by side . . . for the same money ... the gehls a no brainer

Not sure how I will sell the Boxers unless you really want the lighter weight. I have a new 726 I will sell for next to cost. The comparable Gehl to the Boxer 749 will probably cost at least 5K less.

Attachments

• 2009_0810Image0015-1.JPG
    2009_0810Image0015-1.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 2009_0810Image0011.JPG
    2009_0810Image0011.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 10
  • 2009_0810Image0016-1.JPG
    2009_0810Image0016-1.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 11
A list of the Boxer equipment:
http://www.topnotchequipment.com/pr...h&industry=4&submit_form.x=17&submit_form.y=4

I have had to dump quite a bit of money in my mini recently, but it has 1500 hours on it and has been used hard!

Sorry to here your havin trouble with that old Thomas, hope she runs long for you now.
Its real cool to see all the mini loading pixs.
SOTC definately wins the overworking his mini award with that Silver Maple(?) Log on the trailer :\:
Sorry about being a wiener, lurking around here now and then and only chimin in about equipment, life/work has been keeping me off the computer.

Hey Darin
I love your leavin the raft avatar, looks like Haley knows how to hold on.
Every tree company needs a forwarding machine.

I have a large Bulgarian who comes and takes my wood away. If he ever breaks down, I'll be giving you a call.

Nice Gehl there. I just do not know. Minis with dump trailer look sweet, grapple loaders look even sweeter. Do folks forward with a mini and then Grapple load? I do Know the future is now and there has got to be a better way of loading logs than the way I do it.

Attachments

• DSCN2337.jpg
    DSCN2337.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCN2335.jpg
    DSCN2335.jpg
    332.8 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCN2349.jpg
    DSCN2349.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 10
Sorry to here your havin trouble with that old Thomas, hope she runs long for you now.
Its real cool to see all the mini loading pixs.

I'm not mad Dave, it is what it is, a used piece of equipment that has made me a lot of money and saved my back more than I can think of! I might have $300 in parts in it so far, big deal! I'd like a new Boxer, but I'm right on the edge of justifiying it right now, and I think a dump trailer makes more sense. I may be getting ahold of you about a new engine soon though, she's burning the oil now.
I will say that about anybody doing this kind of work without a mini or larger, is a fool, they just make it that much better and easier!

I'm not mad Dave, it is what it is, a used piece of equipment that has made me a lot of money and saved my back more than I can think of! I might have $300 in parts in it so far, big deal! I'd like a new Boxer, but I'm right on the edge of justifiying it right now, and I think a dump trailer makes more sense. I may be getting ahold of you about a new engine soon though, she's burning the oil now.
I will say that about anybody doing this kind of work without a mini or larger, is a fool, they just make it that much better and easier!

I'll get ya a deal on an engine.

Treecycle OH MY GOD :\: thats determination and dedication to completing the job nice pics
Since I sold my company and I know longer have my 44 yard clamtruck (Serco 8500 ) Loading a dump trailer with my AL20 mini loader is all I need now.
I sure miss my old clam truck though, but you need to move a lot of volume for a big clam, I ran 6 crews at times and the loader driver still had to get out of the truck and work with the crew often. (we did alot of pruning).

Here's my setup. I don't fit through too many gates with it though.

Attachments

• armycorpshuper 019 (Large).jpg
    armycorpshuper 019 (Large).jpg
    167 KB · Views: 9
  • armycorpshuper 026 (Large).jpg
    armycorpshuper 026 (Large).jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 9
OK, here's the situation. We are currently disposing of a Prentice loader and its operator and are looking for a replacement for wood moving equipment. Some details that will impact our decision.

1. The prentice was too big, required a dedicated operator and a ton of maintenance.

2. The prentice doesn't solve the problem of getting wood from the back yard in manageable pieces.

3. The operation does a medium load of removals, mostly pine and some oak.

4. Most of these removals will be on turf and we are looking for low impact.

5. Of course, cost is always a consideration.

6. Finally, a self contained unit would be preferable but not a deal breaker.

So, i guess what I'm asking for is what you all are using, what is and isn't working for you and any recommendations/websites where i can gather info. Thanks.

How much for the Prentice, and what model is it? Got a picture? I wouldn't get rid of my grab truck for nothing unless I was getting out of the biz. Anyone can run a grab truck with a little practice.

Get a mini to forward to the grab truck, I use 2 trucks, the box truck hauls the lift and all the saws, rigging, ramps, tools ect. And pulls a trailer with the stump grinder and small bobcat. The second truck is the grab truck.

Attachments

• Chastain Job 025.jpg
    Chastain Job 025.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Chastain Job 030.jpg
    Chastain Job 030.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20070518_0758.JPG
    20070518_0758.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20090601_2386.JPG
    20090601_2386.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 20060105_0072.JPG
    20060105_0072.JPG
    204.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20060105_0085.JPG
    20060105_0085.JPG
    189.8 KB · Views: 8
I like a mini for my small outfit. Any else would require another truck, and be a PITA. The option to fit the machine and the load is great. And go from the front yard to the backyard.

Nice Gehl there. I just do not know. Minis with dump trailer look sweet, grapple loaders look even sweeter. Do folks forward with a mini and then Grapple load? I do Know the future is now and there has got to be a better way of loading logs than the way I do it.

That looks pretty good to me. I was thinking about doing that to my forestry truck until I got my tractor and trailer going.

For any one with the grapple trucks. When you want to dump the full load, do you first have to climb up to the controls and move the boom to the side? And how do the grapple dumps with the loader on the back dump their bed?

Also Tntree what do you think about the wheeled boxer 427? If you could pick one wheeled mini what would it be? Thanks in advance:)

The rear mount grapple trucks usually don't dump. On the front mount grapple trucks, yes you have to raise the boom in order to dump.

damm Dave rub it in, I miss my ole clamausaurus

Ha not trying to rub it in at all....:D Dave a boxer 726 or a Gehl is on the list to get. Possible when things pick back up, I'll sell the little bobcat and get me a new toy....8)

Treecycle, IMO, the wheeled 427 is THE mini to get if you don't like tracks and don't have to fit through a 36" gate.

And just for the record, not once have I said "Man, I wish mine wasn't as wide" And I don't live in the boonies.

The Thomas is 40" I believe.

Back