Wood Moving Equipment

• Thread starter TreeRhino
  • Start date
  • Replies 64
  • Views 8K
T

TreeRhino

OK, here's the situation. We are currently disposing of a Prentice loader and its operator and are looking for a replacement for wood moving equipment. Some details that will impact our decision.

1. The prentice was too big, required a dedicated operator and a ton of maintenance.

2. The prentice doesn't solve the problem of getting wood from the back yard in manageable pieces.

3. The operation does a medium load of removals, mostly pine and some oak.

4. Most of these removals will be on turf and we are looking for low impact.

5. Of course, cost is always a consideration.

6. Finally, a self contained unit would be preferable but not a deal breaker.

So, i guess what I'm asking for is what you all are using, what is and isn't working for you and any recommendations/websites where i can gather info. Thanks.

get a big dump trailer and an articulated wheel loader. I have a TCM 804 and love it, can lift 2000# and is very turf friendly, combined with a rotating grapple it is awesome for chipping brush as long as you have a chipper that can keep up:D

I have had my loader for 4 years and have done nothing except change oil and filters and there is little maintenance on a trailer......

So you want something that's small enough to go in a back yard, be ran by anyone on the crew, pull out meaningful sized pieces, not hurt the grass, be self contained, and cheap?

Sounds like you just need a mini and a BMG (branch manager grapple) to go with the Prentice..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So you want something that's small enough to go in a back yard, be ran by anyone on the crew, pull out meaningful sized pieces, not hurt the grass, be self contained, and cheap?

Sounds like you just need a mini and a BMG (branch manager grapple) to go with the Prentice..

The prentice is going away. off a cliff if i had my way. what do you call a mini?

What size gates do you typically go through? If you're getting rid of the Prentice, anything shy of a full size will suck when comparing speed loading from the curb.

Mini:
f6cad8ce.jpg

DSC05497.jpg

Hopped up a bit in this video:

If you can get them where you're going and can haul them on the same trip as the load, I agree.

The Boxer 727 is calling my name.

What is it about the 427 that you like? Would it be similiar to a smaller skidsteer except with the speed of only hopping on the back and not having to crawl into a cab? What are the downsides to the boxer,verses an articulated loader or skidsteer. Thanks

The articulated loaders are becoming a lot more popular around here as well. Skid steer Bobcats are ok but the operator has limited visibility (they tend to run into stuff) and they absolutely destroy turf.

I can fit the 727 on the bed of my 1 ton and tow the dump trailer and load behind it.

The advantage to Boxer is I know a killer dealer. (TNTree on here)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
How much and how high can you lift with that guy?

get a big dump trailer and an articulated wheel loader. I have a TCM 804 and love it, can lift 2000# and is very turf friendly, combined with a rotating grapple it is awesome for chipping brush as long as you have a chipper that can keep up:D

I have had my loader for 4 years and have done nothing except change oil and filters and there is little maintenance on a trailer......

Hey PC, could you post a photo of your loader? How much does the loader itself weigh?

A list of the Boxer equipment:
http://www.topnotchequipment.com/pr...h&industry=4&submit_form.x=17&submit_form.y=4

The Thoas has a lift height of 42", one of the downfalls of the machine. The artics are nice, but a LOT more money and bigger. Carls and mine Thomas will fit through a 42" gate and as long as you don't get stupid a customer wont even know you were there in a week. The tracked units are better, they just look worse initially as the tracks tear the grass but leave NO ruts!
I have had to dump quite a bit of money in my mini recently, but it has 1500 hours on it and has been used hard!

Happy as can be still with my ramrod 950. That with my little dump trailer makes a pretty nice combo for most everything I run into.

If you want it to be truly versatile I'd get something that you don't sit on. That's one of the features I really like about the mini's is the ability to just step on and off. It's no big deal if a limb trips the reverse bar or something while you're feeding cause it's easy to step off and fix it.

Attachments

• IMG_6542.JPG
    IMG_6542.JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 109
I like mine but would like to double the horsepower

Attachments

• devils garden 007.jpg
    devils garden 007.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
  • devils garden 012.jpg
    devils garden 012.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
  • devils garden 014.jpg
    devils garden 014.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
  • devils garden 017.jpg
    devils garden 017.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • devils garden 018.jpg
    devils garden 018.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
I'll see your wimpy pines and raise you some big ass fir.:D

Attachments

• IMG_7642.JPG
    IMG_7642.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
That was loaded with the mini? Good job!

Here's what my best loading job looked like so far(partly loaded). Those were 20's in a 12' traier. Not a totally legal load.:lol: I hit about 50mph on the highway with that and she started the wiggle, I eased it down into control and took sideroads the rest of the way home. I try to run a legit tree business but sometimes the redneck in me just comes spilling out.:D

Attachments

• IMG_7640.JPG
    IMG_7640.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 13
Welllll......... it helped! It rocked and pushed while the 8k winch pulled:D

Willie, that one pic looks like your hell on taillights.

Haha, yeah, that truck was always popping them through when we dumped, fortunatly, it's gone!

Back