Valid Drivers License shines like a college degree these days.

August, didn't everybody but the driver sleep on the way to the woods? They did in my crummy. That getting up a 2am chit to be in the woods by 5.30 or 6, not sorry to see those days in the rearview mirror.

That is amazing to me that your mentor could do such good work while wasted. Just hard to fathom, but I'm not doubting you. Cool about the excal. saw.

I am very grateful to have been given a shot in trees while I did not have a DL. I always made my way to work on time one way or another, now I have a DL and a life/career in trees, right on:thumbup:

Cool. :thumb up:

In smaller co's like mine, there's no one available to do the limo or car pool thing, everybody has to be there on time all on their own.

edit maybe no one picked you up, you got there on your own, but in a small company, everybody is needed to drive a truck to the job site.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
August, didn't everybody but the driver sleep on the way to the woods? They did in my crummy. That getting up a 2am chit to be in the woods by 5.30 or 6, not sorry to see those days in the rearview mirror.

That is amazing to me that your mentor could do such good work while wasted. Just hard to fathom, but I'm not doubting you. Cool about the excal. saw.

Yeah, I did leave out the parts where he would occasionally be walking and just tip over sideways and cut himself to ribbons on his own Silvey ground or hand-chisel-filed-to-perfection chain. One of the talking points at his funeral that the cutters kept bringing up was how legendary he was for sharpness. He was the first person I ever saw that would file that crappy factory edge off a brand-new chain. Saw was just an extension of his body when cutting though. I learned quite a bit about what to do and what not to do from him. Not the most ethical guy in the world either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I did leave out the parts where he would occasionally be walking and just tip over sideways and cut himself to ribbons on his own Silvey ground or hand-chisel-filed-to-perfection chain. One of the talking points at his funeral that the cutters kept bringing up was how legendary he was for sharpness. He was the first person I ever saw that would file that crappy factory edge off a brand-new chain. Saw was just an extension of his body when cutting though. I learned quite a bit about what to do and what not to do from him. Not the most ethical guy in the world either.

Lol re crappy factory edge:thumbup::thumb up:

Good story!

Yeah, he'd probably get a kick out of us getting a kick outta him

Also the comparison to the college degree is a bit unfair from my experience. For me having a DL scores FAR more points than a degree of any sorts, unless you have a degree in kickin A$$:D

I'm good, thru sheer repetition, at saws. Kinda sucky at knives though:whine:

Ive got a degree but I haven't let it hold me back:/:

Also the comparison to the college degree is a bit unfair from my experience. For me having a DL scores FAR more points than a degree of any sorts, unless you have a degree in kickin A$$:D

Agreed.....I think.

I have worked with many people in trees that had many different backgrounds, certs, edu, etc... most of the top people that I have worked with did not even graduate high school. Most (not all), but most of the "get in the trenches" and really make WORK happen people that I have known have a "sorted" or "colorful" past. ie DUI no DL etc.

just sayin... it wouldn't hurt to have shaolin monk on staff around here, just the other day one tree guy threatend a rival with a 9mm!!!

I have worked with many people in trees that had many different backgrounds, certs, edu, etc... most of the top people that I have worked with did not even graduate high school. Most (not all), but most of the "get in the trenches" and really make WORK happen people that I have known have a "sorted" or "colorful" past. ie DUI no DL etc.

"So if the man driving wedges is rough ‘round the edges, its ok, we don’t need to be Quakers

Having said all that, I’ll agree sober’s where it’s at, when dodging widow-makers

And speaking for me, I’m now free of the bottle and have conviction

That my brothers in the trees, if need be, can also be free of addiction

We live and we sweat under constant threat of gravity induced demise

Let that be our thrill and not be killed by chasing after lies"

Etc. etc.

The first guy I worked with was a drunk, I had to pick him up in my van because he had lost his licence, once every two weeks or so he would disappear at lunchtime (we were working in London at the time) and come back drunk, then the boss would have a go at me. I learnt pretty much all my climbing from him. He was a sour miserable bastard who had ruined his life though.

The boss would come down on you if the other guy screwed up? I've quit jobs for that reason.

Back