Using Two Climb Lines

The best thing about it is never having to take your weight off your line. Maintaining no slack at all times

I usually use the same crotch. I pull it all up at one time when possible. Your right that I am climbing with two ropes because I am lazy. That's been a theme for me in life. Always looking for the easy way. If your working hard your doing something wrong.

Kevin, I will always be indebted to you for your pioneering use and posts on SRWP that helped convince me to give it a try. Seriously, I would not be climbing today if it required hauling my butt around a tree on a DdRt system. So if this two rope system works for you and makes you feel safer, that is great.

For me, it was not until Paul invented the Hitch Hiker that I finally felt I had an SRWP tool that was consistently safe and reliable enough for tree work. One rope became just right.

Unlike industrial access where ropes are used in harsh and sharp environments, trees are very rope friendly. There is no way I would work in an industrial setting without a second backup line. There is also no way that second line would be under full load/tension while following the same path or route. Back up systems use entirely different ropes and components specifically to prevent them from failing in a manner that caused a primary system failure.

If you take away system failure caused by the work environment, that leaves only the climber's actions to initiate a failure. Like I said, tree work takes thought. No system is safe against unsafe practices.

The best thing about it is never having to take your weight off your line. Maintaining no slack at all times
This means being able to stand on a limb that wouldn't hold your weight, while repositioning your second climbing line. I'm not so often in this situation. I use a 30-40'long lanyard system DDRT when doing end-weight reduction in large firs, as a typical close tie-in point won't bear my weight. I can see two climb lines helping even more in wide, wide trees.

It's not just safer although it is. It has advantages on its own that every time I have climbed srt recently I have missed.

So are you tending two different devices (rope runner, RW, HH whatever??) at the same time throughout your entire climb?? I'm having a hard time envisioning how it works Kevin?

jp:D

Yeah bassically. It's really not much more difficult to manage two than one. I can do I all one handed. The hitches on the wrench run great. Imagine working a lead over a house. You redirect one line and that allows you to work the tip and then you have the other one at the original redirect and you make the finishing cut

Imagine tying one base tie one place and the other a slightly different place. Mediating the base tie cuttin hazard. My options in the tree are always better no matter how small the job.

:? Hmm interesting. Pics and vids? I get what your saying. Basically, your doing one part and prepped for another part by using the other line. So your only real time is in the set-up?

Yes that is where the additional time comes in. Managing two ropes during the climb has not proven to add much effort or time.

I use to keep a length of 7/16 as a long safety/xtra line on my saddle. I changed it out with smaller diameter, just shy of 40' of B-Line Im really liking it.

Butch I didnt mean to post this pic this large. Also Im having trouble posting pics right side up.

Attachments

• 20141007_214738.jpg
    20141007_214738.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 98
I still don't understand why you need two bridges on the harness.

I"m guessing that it allows each device to run the full width of your bridge without hitting each other around the half way point and conflicting. If you're bobbing and weaving on little wood, you need to keep each system tight and mobile. My armchair guess.

Why not a Petzl PAW or some such. It's what I use, run snaps & biners from both lines to it. 2 bridges seems to over clutter & complicate things.

Yes that's right, if you only have one bridge and two tie in points you'll get completely twisted up. The swivels allow you to keep it all organized without going crazy

I tried with one bridge, like sean said you want each rope to be able to travel full distance across your bridge without interference. The swivels allow you to simply pass the rope around your body to get straightened out. I tried it with one bridge and no swivels and found it to not be even really possible.

I tried with one bridge, like sean said you want each rope to be able to travel full distance across your bridge without interference. The swivels allow you to simply pass the rope around your body to get straightened out. I tried it with one bridge and no swivels and found it to not be even really possible.

That makes complete sense now. I hadn't considered the option if passing one line around your body to keep it all in line etc.
I can totally see the advantage of two lines now but I rarely need it here In the trees that I work on.
Thanks
Al.

Nothing about the runner that is really unique. It's bassically just a different friction hitch. One that works really well IMO but offers nothing that a wrench or a HH or a uni doesn't offer. Just another tool to go up and down a rope. I have been back on wrenches lately and been really loving the feel of hitches in my hand.

I do drop my other line quite often when it makes sense. I find it is easier to go from drt to srt when it makes sense rather than visa versa

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
....I just throw a safety and switch to re orient...had SRT on HH attached with Carabiner , the other was double with rope snap....one bridge

Back