Using Two Climb Lines

I've only once used two climb lines (in different trees both sides of the one I was cutting). I do double crotch fairly often 2-3 times a year) though for wide spreading trees.

Don't flame me, but using two ropes is kinda the sign of a rookie. I can get my ass way out on a limb with just one rope.

;)

In my case, you would be accurate! I've used two climb lines in wide spreading multiple trunks to prune, but I did just get a HH from Treestuff, I'm itchin' to see how it'll work out!

Don't flame me, but using two ropes is kinda the sign of a rookie. I can get my ass way out on a limb with just one rope.

;)
Way out on a limb, a lanyard won't be an effective second Tie-in. If I'm end weight reducing a conifer, or chunking back a long low limb, I have been able to stand on some surprising limbs, but I'd ride that limb to the ground, lanyard attached, if somehow I lost balance while cutting, and swing and cut my climb line.

I have a 40' lanyard for this. If I come up short from around the trunk ddrt, I'll change it to srtwp by clipping my termination biner mid line with a clove hitch, or lanyarding into a limb above that has already been EWRed, and stronger for its load. Some topped firs have 70-80' spreads, ime. They're usually 3-4'+ on the butt.

I double crotch here and there when pruning. Advance one line into next spot and keep working my way around the tree in a clockwise sort of fashion. I'll usually use a standard climb line and a short one. Hell, I'll use both ends of one climb line if Im up there and want to keep it simple. Not the safest approach in the event of an emergency bail out but I can untie one side just as quick as if I had to unhook one of two climb lines for a speedy escape. I like double crotching because I can face straight out off the tree nice and comfy and work the polesaw.

About what Butch said about one rope and rookies, I kind of see what he means, kind of don't. I can run out to the end of a limb on one line just fine. Its when I get shatty rope angles on a long and drawn out prune that I use a double crotch. I really only implement the tactic if the angles are going to be a fight. It has to be a prune where I know Im going to be at it for quite awhile and want to make it cozy. But, even on a long drawn out prune, if my rope angle is good, you wont see much double crotching out of me.

;)

I thought I was getting out there with one rope. I climbed with a single rope for a long time but have using two ropes for the last six months and my ability to get out there to the tippy tippy tips has been so much fun.

Gerald Beranek has a good vid on YT for the need of two tie-in points on hazard removals etc, that man has set the pace for so many years to come, what a revolutionary for tree workers everywhere.

I have a short rope (60' Blaze) with tight eyes in both ends. In The Wild Trees they called it a 'motion lanyard', and in some of the coast redwoods it was definitely helpful for moving around in the crowns with multiple reiterations. While back East in spreading hardwoods I have two long lanyards, a 27 ft and a roughly 40 ft - both 12mm HRC that I use as short second lines and redirects to get out in lengthy limb walks.

Thanks for the info Mate, I have about a 20 ft flip line / secondary climb line. I'm thinking about shortening that one and making a second climb line and putty that in a ditty bag and storing that somewhere on my saddle.
I run a 4mt flip line as standard and have a 6mt flip line for larger trees, anything bigger than that I will employ a short climb line as a flip line.
haven't used a ditty bag system generally coil the excess behind me on the saddle and tend out when needed or climb with the rope bag hanging off the back of the saddle.

So I have been rocking two lines since a weeklong SPRAT claas I took back in march. Haven't looked back. It's only a partial measure of efficiency and productivity but last weekend I competed in the michigan comp and I stayed tied in twice to two separate ropes and systems for the work climb, I placed 4th. For the aeriel rescue I placed 2cnd. For the master's climb which was my best masters since my first competition in 2001, I placed 1rst. As a general rule of thumb 2 is better than 1!

I'd love to see some video of those climbs...any available?

Congrats on the competitions...performance is the truth of training...showing and testing what you can do is requisite for progressing. Maybe you can start a thread that shows some details of those competitions? That's not showing off...that's sharing.

I have some thoughts on making a drt video. I attended the PNW isa conference over the weekend and another climber who had attended a SPRAT training was there and he presented. He was also brainwashed and had come to many of the same conclusuons as me.

Haha! You are using two ropes, after finding and setting throw lines through two suitable crotches and attaching those to two bridges with two rope runners on two swivels, in every tree! All because you are too lazy to use a lanyard during a cutting operation. Yes, you have proven it can be done but like splicing plant to animal DNA, just because something can be done does not mean it should be.

I have used two ropes and systems many, many times, when the situation called for it and strongly advocate it if it makes sense for the job at hand. Climbing sketchy trees, that can't be trusted to support you or tough angles on awkward or weak limbs, it just makes sense.

Staying safe in the tree industry requires constant thought and the ability to adapt and change when the situation calls for it. Having four locks on a carrabiner gate will not prevent it from failing from misuse, only thought and understanding can do that.

I usually use the same crotch. I pull it all up at one time when possible. Your right that I am climbing with two ropes because I am lazy. That's been a theme for me in life. Always looking for the easy way. If your working hard your doing something wrong.

Half your load on a limb makes for farther limb walking, in my estimation.

Kevin, are you routing the rope through different crotches, disconnection and reconnecting?

If one thing years of tree work have taught me is that it's not the sketchy burly tree that Will get you, it's likely the 200$ 30 footer on Friday that will get you.

Back